Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime and ESX 5.1

dbelno
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

we are upgrading LMS from 3.2 (windows) to LMS 4.2 and VMWare. But now i recogniced that it only runs with ESX 5.0.

We only have version 5.1 so does anyone have experience if its running with 5.1 ?

Is there any plan from cisco for an official version supporting ESX 5.1 ?

Thanks

Norbert                     

5 Replies 5

Hi Norbert,

I successfully deployed Prime Infrastructure 1.3 on ESX 5.1, no problems at all.

Sebastian

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

You will not face any problem  in upgarding LMS 4.2 on ESXI 5.0. It will work fine. For more information you can go to below link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps11200/deployment_guide_c07-683965.html

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The two answers above address different aspects than the OP's question.

Cisco Prime LMS 4.2 is not currently supported on ESXi 5.1. While you may be able to get it to work (I haven't tried personally), if you run into any issues you will not be in a supported configuration so official Cisco support may fall short of what you could otherwise enjoy.

Hello Norbert,

I've once installed LMS 4.2 on ESXi 5.0 and 5.1 for a test enviroment. Installation and running the application works, but the LMS Software is so slow, that when you click on a menuentrie you have to wait up do 45 second until anything happens.

As Sebastian said, PI 1.x works fine on ESXi 5.0 and 5.1. We're running several PI 1.3 Installations on ESXi 5.1. Installation and running the application works perfect. For installation I've used the .ova files which can be received at the Cisco Download area.

But if you ask me, if you want to install PI as a new installation you should switch to PI 2.0 which is or will be release in June, if I'm right.

If you need some installation help, feel free to contact me.

Kind regards

Kai

Yes PI 2.0 is due out at the end of June. It will add a lot of features missing in PI 1.x for wired network management yet still fall short of what LMS can do.

So for current CiscoWorks and Prime LMS customers, they are best served by staying current with LMS for a few more releases.

The business unit offers weekly sessions on both products that are open to the public. Monday is for LMS and Thursday is for Prime Infrastructure. I've created a document with the details to help spread the word.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: