cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks 3.2.1 Upgrade Path

jwright
Level 1
Level 1

We have Ciscoworks 3.2.1 (Windows Server).  We also currently have Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 (appliance) for wireless management.

I'm getting a bit confused trying to determine the appropriate upgrade path for the LMS server.  I'm wondering if I should be upgrading the existing server to Prime Infrastructure 1.2 which will run on the windows server or migrate the wired management to the Prime Infrastructure 1.2 appliance?  I like the idea of one management portal for both wired and wireless networks.  Does Cisco take a module based approach to the licensing of the Prime Infrastructure products?  In other words, do I need to simply buy the "LMS module" for use on the existing appliance?  The Windows Server has dated hardware so I would also need to confirm that it supports the upgrade if that is the recommended path.

I'd like to hear what others have done that have made the switch to Prime Infrastructure from LMS.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LMS and Cisco PI are intended to merge in coming period, but in Cisco PI it almost run a parallel to LMS and is not the complete replacement of LMS.

Every new release comes out with more LMS featured baked inside Cisco PI. Hence I recommend you to keep your LMS for LAN Management tasks.

Cisco PI is an complete and evolved upgrade to WCS/NCS. You can upgrade the following Cisco Prime Network Control System products to Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2:

•Cisco Prime Network Control System 1.0.0 (NCS 1.0 MR2, 1.0.2.29)

•Cisco Prime Network Control System 1.1.0 (NCS 1.1 FCS, 1.1.0.58)

•Cisco Prime Network Control System 1.1.1 (NCS 1.1 K MR1, 1.1.1.24)

On Server side, I think CPI can't be installed on LMS Windows server as it has to have a virtulized environment. You should keep and treat both separately. However, if you have got the LMS 4.2 license with CPI , you should upgrade your LMS to version 4.2 and get CPI to manage wireless infrastructure.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LMS and Cisco PI are intended to merge in coming period, but in Cisco PI it almost run a parallel to LMS and is not the complete replacement of LMS.

Every new release comes out with more LMS featured baked inside Cisco PI. Hence I recommend you to keep your LMS for LAN Management tasks.

Cisco PI is an complete and evolved upgrade to WCS/NCS. You can upgrade the following Cisco Prime Network Control System products to Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2:

•Cisco Prime Network Control System 1.0.0 (NCS 1.0 MR2, 1.0.2.29)

•Cisco Prime Network Control System 1.1.0 (NCS 1.1 FCS, 1.1.0.58)

•Cisco Prime Network Control System 1.1.1 (NCS 1.1 K MR1, 1.1.1.24)

On Server side, I think CPI can't be installed on LMS Windows server as it has to have a virtulized environment. You should keep and treat both separately. However, if you have got the LMS 4.2 license with CPI , you should upgrade your LMS to version 4.2 and get CPI to manage wireless infrastructure.

-Thanks

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I found one useful document which will be very helpful for you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/app_note_c27-716266.html

-Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card