cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks Syslog doesn't receive messages

wkusnetsov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, can anybody help me with the following problem?

CiscoWorks (including CWCS 2.2) runs on Win2000. I can't see any syslog messages from devices both in reports and in "...CSCOpx\log\syslog.log" file. CWCS syslog service is running, but it seems it doesn't listen on port UDP-514 -- server replies with ICMP "destination port unreachable" on any syslog message sent toward CW from managed device.

How can I troubleshoot this failure, i.e. how to configure CWCS syslog service to listen on standard syslog port and to log messages to specified (CiscoWorks default "...syslog.log") file?

Thanks in advance,

Vasily

7 Replies 7

ebreniz
Level 6
Level 6

Could you please check whether there is any change in the /etc/syslog.conf file .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps3996/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008017b774.html#wp1018862

Thanks for reply, ebreniz.

I use Windows version of CW, so there is no /etc/syslog.conf here. But I see that crmlog.exe process is running...

georg.tresselt
Level 1
Level 1

If you get an ICMP "destination port unreachable" you have a routing problem. Maybe, some default gateway isn't set correctly.

There are no problems with routing -- sniffer capture on CW shows that CW receives syslog message from the switch, and "ICMP destination port unreachable" -- it is CW server's reply...

Here's a link to troubleshoot syslog problems:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008017aa93.html#1003936

Right after the FAQ is a troubleshooting table that should help.

Steve

Check your port settings in system32\drivers\etc\services and in the registry CurrentControlSet\Services\crmlog

Thanks, problem have been fixed after I change wrong port number in registry.

Thanks again, georg.tresselt!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: