Views
Helpful
Replies

Confusion regarding Control plane and Management Plane packets

acapistran96
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks, 

Just something I wanted to ask so that I can understand clearly. I'm studying for the CCNP and i came across something that's making me unsure of what I've already read.

In one section I have the following notes,

Control Plane packets are packets specifically addressed to a router for the purpose of maintaining it's ability to route traffic from itself to other routers. OSPF, EIGRP, BGP etc.

Management plane packets are packets not for the purpose of maintaining the previously mentioned ability but for the purpose of managing the router itself, SSH, Telnet, SNMP etc. 

About a section or two later I'm reading an example of configuring a CoPP (Control Plane Policing) policy, but with SSH, HTTP/HTTPS, and SNMP.... if it's the control plane, wouldnt that mean i would need to configure it for protocols such as OSPF or BGP exclusively or can I do it for others like in the example? Does it matter? Is my thinking of the control plane in concept vs on the router need to be different? Should I think of it as a way to avoid attaching service-policies to interfaces and instead through a virtual pipe that handles all the aforementioned types of traffic before it reaches or after it reaches an interface? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Possibly the issue is, we call traffic being transported though the device, or transiting the device, "data plane" traffic (I suspect you know that).  Other traffic, such as your noted "control plane" and "management plane" are, I believe, often lumped together as "control plane".  The latter is done, for the purposes of security, i.e. "data plane" traffic, generally, doesn't have a path of attack into the system.

CoPPP is a method to limit the impact of simple DoS service attacks for entry points supporting the control, and management, planes.  Of course, good security practices also protect those two planes, when possible, with totally blocked access too.

The latter statement, I believe, answers your question "Should I think of it as a way to avoid attaching service-policies to interfaces and instead through a virtual pipe that handles all the aforementioned types of traffic before it reaches or after it reaches an interface?" as no.  I.e. For security, we use whatever tools seem most appropriate, including in combinations, as early as possible.

CoPPP is a bit of a "Johnny-come-lately", which helps secure our systems from entry points we cannot fully block by limiting volume of traffic to "normal" limits.

Laugh - way back when CoPPP was really new, and not as refined as current implementations, I tried in on one of our main core devices.  Worked fine, until the day another engineer tried to FTP a new IOS image to the device, which "crawled!!!".  Device was fine, including normal forwarding of production traffic, but it was interesting how CoPPP could easily impact a legitimate function.  (I don't recall that CoPPP implementation having a way to allow a full speed FTP copy to device without setting its policed limits to a much higher rate or deactivation of it.  Recall we chose to deactivate CoPPP for the duration of the FTP copy, and then reactivate.)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Possibly the issue is, we call traffic being transported though the device, or transiting the device, "data plane" traffic (I suspect you know that).  Other traffic, such as your noted "control plane" and "management plane" are, I believe, often lumped together as "control plane".  The latter is done, for the purposes of security, i.e. "data plane" traffic, generally, doesn't have a path of attack into the system.

CoPPP is a method to limit the impact of simple DoS service attacks for entry points supporting the control, and management, planes.  Of course, good security practices also protect those two planes, when possible, with totally blocked access too.

The latter statement, I believe, answers your question "Should I think of it as a way to avoid attaching service-policies to interfaces and instead through a virtual pipe that handles all the aforementioned types of traffic before it reaches or after it reaches an interface?" as no.  I.e. For security, we use whatever tools seem most appropriate, including in combinations, as early as possible.

CoPPP is a bit of a "Johnny-come-lately", which helps secure our systems from entry points we cannot fully block by limiting volume of traffic to "normal" limits.

Laugh - way back when CoPPP was really new, and not as refined as current implementations, I tried in on one of our main core devices.  Worked fine, until the day another engineer tried to FTP a new IOS image to the device, which "crawled!!!".  Device was fine, including normal forwarding of production traffic, but it was interesting how CoPPP could easily impact a legitimate function.  (I don't recall that CoPPP implementation having a way to allow a full speed FTP copy to device without setting its policed limits to a much higher rate or deactivation of it.  Recall we chose to deactivate CoPPP for the duration of the FTP copy, and then reactivate.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card