cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Switch to Port Channel Port

_Chris_
Level 1
Level 1

I need to install a 2960 switch in an area that is running out of ports. There is 1 available port to use and it is a Port Channel (Po1), it is using 2 interfaces in its bundle. I am familiar with adding switches to regular port but haven't added a switch to a port with Port Channel on it. Would it be the same? Just configure the access ports and trunk port and plug in? I've tried reading about this setup but keep running into "how to configure port channel" articles.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@_Chris_ wrote:

I need to install a 2960 switch in an area that is running out of ports. There is 1 available port to use and it is a Port Channel (Po1), it is using 2 interfaces in its bundle. I am familiar with adding switches to regular port but haven't added a switch to a port with Port Channel on it.

Are you adding a 2960/2960G or a 2960S/X/XR to a stack?  

I need to ask because it's not possible to configure Ethernet channel to different physical 2960/2960G units.  If the switch is a 2960S/X/XR and it's being added to an existing stack, then yes, it's possible.  

This is not for a stack. The device is a 2960-CX. It's is being temporarily added to a training room.

Hello,

Well if the port your trying to use (the free port) is in a portchannel you should do one of this 2 Options:

A.Use a user port to connected the new switch and move the user to the new switch temporarily:

A.1- You should connect the cable that was disconnectedthat will make the port channel second link to come back

A.2- If you have another user port that you may use configure that port has a trunk and send the vlan that was in the user port to pass to that trunk and the one you need for that training room.

A.3- Then if you can one of the free port of the training room Switch to connect the user temporarily then do the rollback of that user.

B.Disable the port channel on both Switches and then use the existing free port for the temporarily :

Switch:

B.1- Find the two Hardware that are on that port channel, then disable the port channel on both switches.

B.2- Then use the Free port of the existing switch as a trunk and connect the new Switch in trunk mode and send the valns you need throught the port.

B.3 went the time comes do the rollbkack and recreate the port channel on the twot Hardware that you find on the B.1 and reconnnect them till you get both port´s up in the port channel.

If you need more help, send a diagram of the physical topology and i can help you a bit more.

Gerardo Andree Mejía

If this is a compact switch, then the uplink should go the same logical switch in order to for a solid etherchannel. If it's going to two logically separate switches then it's not possible.