cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy startup or running config from 2811 rommon

mzr
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2811 that has a bad CF slot. I don't have a USB stick small enough (4GB is the smallest, unless it'll use it partitioned as a 2GB) to copy IOS to the 2811. Right now I'm trying to copy the IOS image via xmodem into DRAM and booting that way. TFTP kept failing.

If this doesn't work, is there a way to copy the startup/running-config from rommon? Even if I can just view the config that would be fine. I thought I had the config copied off of it, but can't find it for the life of me.

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi brent,

First try this method to load IOS from ROMMan mode.

http://helpdesk.tipg.net/?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1

If still not wrking then u can try this:::: eventhough this is not for routers:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25962

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts.

TFTP transfers fail, I've tried it a couple of times. I'm going to try xmodem again.

I can get into priv mode, but meminfo will not give me the hex addresses needed to dump. I get the hex address of the start of the main memory,  nothing else.

Edit: The xmodem download completed, but I get the same error as trying to boot from the CF card:

Error : uncompressed image checksum is incorrect 0x5D7BD774                    

Expected a checksum of 0x357BD795                                      

*** System received a Software forced crash ***                                

signal= 0x17, code= 0x9, context= 0x80014dc0                                   

PC = 0x8000f0d4, Cause = 0x20, Status Reg = 0x3040a803

Error : uncompressed image checksum is incorrect 0x5D7BD774

Expected a checksum of 0x357BD795

*** System received a Software forced crash ***

signal= 0x17, code= 0x9, context= 0x80014dc0

PC = 0x8000f0d4, Cause = 0x20, Status Reg = 0x3040a803

This is telling me two things:

1.  Your IOS could be corrupt.  Compare the MD5 hash value of the BIN file in your TFTP folder against the MD5 hash value found in the Cisco website.  They need to match.

2.  If you have any network module currently installed in the router, remove them and try again.

NOTE:  Even if you will be able to find a small USB thumb drive you still won't be able to boot an IOS from a USB unless you upgrade the bootstrap/ROMMON to 12.4(13r)T11.

I have two IOS images, neither one would boot. Two different CF cards, two different images. Even over xmodem, they'd fail.

It turned out to be a bad stick of RAM. It still won't boot off a CF card, but if I load IOS over xmodem straight into memory, it boots. I've gotten the config off of it, that is all that matters as I've got a replacement on the way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: