cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device getting IP from previous VLAN

Rick001
Level 1
Level 1

Our core switches are Cisco 9600. We have a few Cisco 9300 and old Avaya switches on our network. We have many buildings in different campuses. The network guy has superscopes for each campus. A few buildings have different VLANS. The IP helper on the switches point to the DHCP server. 

The problem I am facing is that when a device is moved from one VLAN to another,  the DHCP server assings an IP from the previous VLAN. The device will not communicate at all. On a Windows PC, it receives some packets, but sends 0. The DHCP entry is deleted and on the PC ipconfig /release and /renew are run and it still gets the IP from the previous VLAN. We even tried to add the static entry,  but still doesn't work. If the device is returned to where the previous VLAN was it works. 

8 Replies 8

Hello Rick,

Does this issue happen to only one PC, or is the issue present for all PC's on that vlan? 

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

It's very odd, since it is just some very few devices. Not all that have been moved. 

oelkanne
Level 1
Level 1

ARP? clear ARP Cache a hope for the best?

On the core or PC?

oelkanne
Level 1
Level 1

Doesnt hurt to do it on a Core but there will be a small hickup.

Would do it on a nearby Switch first.

ARP has also some timeouts. maybe its gone until you fire the PC up the next day.

Would you post the output of ipconfig from the PC having the problem?

HTH

Rick

When I do ipconfig it does the Ip, subnet mask, default gateway of previous building's VLAN. I noticed that I had to take the laptop back to the previous building and do a /release. Once it cleared out all that information, only then can I take it to another building's with a different VLAN and it would get assigned via DHCP the correct IP, subnet mask, and default gateway for that building and would connect just fine. If don't do the release before moving to another building it won't work. 

If the IP is stuck from previous building doing the  /release /renew on the current building just pulls the DHCP info from the previous building. I have to go back and do a /release on the previous building disconnect the LAN cable and take it over to the new building. 

That's the workaround that seems to be working on that particular laptop. Makes no sense. I cleared the Mac address table on both switches that is connected to. I've flushed the dns on the laptop. 

I have a printer with a similar issue,  but I can't do a /release on a printer nor am I moving that to the previous building. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"The problem I am facing is that when a device is moved from one VLAN to another, . . ."

Are you just changing edge port's VLAN assignment?  If so, is PC active on interface, i.e. switch port "up/up"?  If so, have you tried, after making VLAN assignment change, shut/no-shut on edge port?