Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM devices questioned

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

My DFM is showing 40 devices in the "Questioned" State. Lots of them are 3750 switches and 2801 routers. It has "Known" a few of the 3750s and 2800s, but most of them are Questioned. How do I go about troubleshooting this? It's DFM 3.2.0, part of LMS 3.2;

I tried to reinitalize the DFM database, but that caused all sorts of other issues like my ANIServer not running anymore etc. I have a ticket open with TAC for that issue though. Any thoughs on DFM?

3 Replies 3

STEFFEN NEUSER
Level 4
Level 4

go to rediscover devices, go to questioning devices, select some devices, if you see SNMP-Timeout as the reason at right window, increase the SNMP-Timeout in DFM settings, in steps 10s, 20s ... and rediscover in between. Especially for SNMPv3 DFM needs a huge Timeout.

If SNMP timeout is not the reason, sometimes Windows Firewall could make problems, try to switch out the Windows firewall ror rediscovering

Steffen

Thanks. I tried cranking up the SNMP timeout all the way to 30 seconds and had DFM rediscover them all. They all moved to Learning state for a while then moved back to Questioned. Any ideas??

Its a pity that 30s is the maximum value and the nonsens with 3 times for retry is the minimum. But you cant change this.

Windows Firewall???

I remember in one situation with a SNMPv3 network, I discovered the network piece by piece with chunks not larger than 20 devices and that was working in this situation.

Currently Im working on an installation where we moved from v4.0.0, v4.0.1 to v4.1 and my feeling is that the DFM discovering in v4.1 is much faster than in the versions before, by means it doesnt take this long timeouts.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card