Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Failed, APIPA being used.

Sam-N
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

I'm currently having an issue where the PCs in my topology are unable to pick up/renew IP addresses via dhcp pool. I am using a router-on-a-stick topology with VLans.

If I do ipconfig /renew, the error message I get is: "DHCP Failed. APIPA is being used".

The VLans and DHCP Pools are correctly configured, I think

I'm fairly competent with packet tracer and currently working towards a certification in CCNP Enterprise. I don't know what's wrong, if I've made a mistake somewhere, and have been wracking my head over this for the past couple of hours. I am running PK Version 7.3.1.0362.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Switch connecting to Router must have trunk interface connection; Any interface that connects to ROAS must be trunking. Fix that, then go back to PC config and change static IP to DHCP. This fixes your left side of topology;  there is something wrong on right side

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Switch connecting to Router must have trunk interface connection; Any interface that connects to ROAS must be trunking. Fix that, then go back to PC config and change static IP to DHCP. This fixes your left side of topology;  there is something wrong on right side

Regards, ML

the other switches are not configured with access ports;  ports are in default vlan 1 and there is no pool for vlan 1.

btw. be careful with amount of devices used in PT.  it may get your PT stuck or slow to respond.  i.e. you do not need so many PCs; 2 PCs per vlan on each side is enough to show that DHCP works and PCs can communicate on its own LAN and cross over LANs.

Regards, ML

Ahh mate you're a lifesaver. Thanks so much for that, I was only focusing on the left hand side of the topology before going on to the right hand side. Sorry, I should've mentioned that in the post. All working now though.

no problemo,  have fun !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card