Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP failed. APIPA is being used.

I am doing a project for homework. But i get an error: "DHCP failed APIPA is being used". How can i fix this? 

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : Community group for Packet Tracer project questions
     You can also look at a number of possible issues and corrections from : https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/dhcp-failed-apipa-is-being-used/m-p/4608558#M523675

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

post the full instructions you are following. The problem is with your switches, it is unclear why you have configured Vlan interfaces on the switches...

hello.

actually I don't have much information. the teacher shows us and wants us to do the same

Hello,

I made the following changes (that is usually what a standardized setup would look like):

1. removed all Vlan interfaces from both switches

2. enabled the DHCP service on the DHCP server and configured DHCP pools for all Vlans

3. added the 'ip helper-address' to the subinterfaces of the router

4. enabled 'spanning-tree portfast' on the access ports

5. enabled DHCP on all PCs

All PCs now receive DHCP assigned addresses. Attached the revised file...

Martin L
VIP
VIP

First of all, l2 switch will always has 1 SVI interface UP; you need L3 switch like c3650, c3560; My guess, By mistake you configured pools on DNS server not on DHCP server; and those servers need default gateway IP as well as static IP.   IP of DHCP server should be in the command ip helper-address xyz, so 192.168.248.3 as of right now 

In addition to Georg P. solution,  as alternative, you could use DHCP on router; i.e. for vlan 37

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.247.1

ip dhcp pool 37

network 192.168.247.0 255.255.255.240

default-router 192.168.247.1

Router#sh ip dh binding

IP address Client-ID/ Lease expiration Type

Hardware address

192.168.247.4 0010.1118.4B4B -- Automatic

192.168.247.5 00E0.F702.7105 -- Automatic

Router#

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **