Views
Helpful
Replies

disabling syslog output to the console

omera
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone,

I have an issue with the syslog messages being sent to the console every time I do a debug and enable #terminal monitor. I have the logs sent to a remote server but I don't want them to impact the console output while debugging. Is there any way to disable syslog messages from going to the console output.

21 Replies 21

what I want -> enter debug (any debug command), have it showing on the output, but not having the device show any syslog messages.  

Currently, when I enter debug mode the debug messages are shown with the syslog messages (I don't want these syslog messages to show on the output), is this possible ?

how you access Router ?
via console ?
if yes then before run debug 
line console 0 
no logging synch

it's through tty (ssh), I tried what you have suggested, but it didn't work.

Logged in to the device and executed the following:

line vty 0 4
no logging synch
ctrl+z 
debug crypto ipsec 
terminal monitor

all syslog did output to the tty alongside the debug messages.

Yes you are correct I will make double check and see how can we solve this issue. 
thanks 
MHM

I run small lab I only change 
logging monitor <level  1-4> and the debug stop appear in VTY terminal.

Screenshot (653).pngScreenshot (654).pngScreenshot (655).pngScreenshot (656).png

Hey @MHM Cisco World in your case you setting the severity on which to show messages to warning which does not include debug (of course), hence you will disable the debug and allow syslog messages to appear on they tty with warning severity, anyhow, if I did the same thing as you have suggested I wont see any debug command output in my tty, right? Which is a conundrum to me; my goal is to have the following output on the terminal when I execute terminal monitor + a debug command -> no sayslog messages, and all of the debug commands.
Let me know If I am missing something from your previous reply
Cheers,

I dont get, 
access device via VTY 
then 
change the logging level 
do debug 
use terminal monitor 
you will see all syslog accept the debug,