Views
Helpful
Replies

Distribute SW Images through SCP failed

Tobias Heisele
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

When I try to distribute an image through SCP, I get the following error message in swim_debug.log:

ERROR,[Thread-20],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibSwim.common.SCPUtil,run,199,copy error java.io.IOException: Administratively disabled.

at com.cisco.nm.lib.fcpsvc.Scp2Svc.checkResponse(Scp2Svc.java:60)

at com.cisco.nm.lib.fcpsvc.Scp2Svc.copyTo(Scp2Svc.java:85)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibSwim.common.SCPUtil.run(SCPUtil.java:195)

I'm running LMS 2.6 RME 4.0.5 under Win2k3 SP1.

Can somebody tell me, what causes this administrative deactivation so I can reenable it? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Craig Balfour
Level 1
Level 1

I think what this message is telling you is that SCP on the device (router or switch) is not enabled.

To scp to a switch you need to enable the scp server on the device, like this:

ip scp server enable

You might need to do a little more (such as setup the authentication privileges etc correctly since you probably need level 15 privileges to do most of the stuff you want to do with scp) so take a read over http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hsec_c/part25/ch10/hscp.pdf

which describes what you need to do.

It's probably a good idea to test it out on the command line using the same credentials as Cisco Works would use.

So from a unix machine I'd do:

scp test.txt cwuser@192.168.100.1:flash/

You can do the same test from Windows using pscp from the Putty SSH suite.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Craig Balfour
Level 1
Level 1

I think what this message is telling you is that SCP on the device (router or switch) is not enabled.

To scp to a switch you need to enable the scp server on the device, like this:

ip scp server enable

You might need to do a little more (such as setup the authentication privileges etc correctly since you probably need level 15 privileges to do most of the stuff you want to do with scp) so take a read over http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hsec_c/part25/ch10/hscp.pdf

which describes what you need to do.

It's probably a good idea to test it out on the command line using the same credentials as Cisco Works would use.

So from a unix machine I'd do:

scp test.txt cwuser@192.168.100.1:flash/

You can do the same test from Windows using pscp from the Putty SSH suite.

sorry, I thought when ssh is enable, scp would work too. thanks a lot.

I tried the command what you have suggested. And it seems to have triggered the secure copy over ssh.

however, i get the error like "Write Failed"

Is it before i dont have permission to write onto the bootflash: memory of my router?

-bash-4.1 [/ws/dalakshm-bgl/CSR_Images] $scp testfile.txt darshan@10.10.X.X:bootflash/
Password:
testfile.txt 100% 67 0.1KB/s 00:00
Write failed

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I always forget how to do this, and this is the number one hit on google search "cisco scp administratively disabled".

This worked for me:
ip scp server enable
username USERNAME privilege 15

(note that I had to add the target filename for the transfer to work)
bash$ scp testfile.txt USERNAME@ip.ip.ip.ip:/testfile.txt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco