cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Domain-Name Lookup not working on Nexus-5K

Cheto
Level 1
Level 1

Stuck on this one, I'm simply trying to configure NTP with hostnames but its unable to resolve any hostnames. I have the following commands.

ip domain-lookup

ip name-server 8.8.8.8 use-vrf management

I can ping 8.8.8.8 from my management vrf but DNS will not resolve anything, but when I try to ping google.com it just says 

% Invalid host/interface google.com

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- As far as ping is concerned try iping  (and or iping -h to get command optons for specifying a VRF). Usually an NTP server is defined by IP address because it is only resolved 'once' when defined (only the resolved-ip is used in the configuration). For the NTP server you should be able to specify a VRF on the command line-options. Use the ? mark at will to get command options in a particular stage when entering the ntp server command.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks, I figured out that the ip name-server commands has to be under the vrf context management to resolve DNS. Thats why DNS wouldn't resolve.

Thanks for the information on that, I didn't realize it would just input the IP address instead of the hostname.

Glad you were able to find the answer to your own issue. +5 for sharing what you learned.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card