Views
Helpful
Replies

EEM Script for backing up configs

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I've seen posts where people say you should use the archive command instead of EEM for backing up configs but, I don't see an option for doing this when a config change is made:

Archive configuration commands:
  default           Set a command to its defaults
  exit                Exit from archive configuration mode
  log                 Logging commands
  maximum      maximum number of backup copies
  no                  Negate a command or set its defaults
  path               path for backups
  rollback         Rollback parameters
  time-period    Period of time in minutes to automatically archive the

running-config

write-memory  Enable automatic backup generation during write memory

I want to write an EEM script that will issue a "write mem" everytime a change is made to a device. Is there a way to do this silently so, the person on the console doesn't see the command "write mem" issued and the the tranfer of the SCP file to the SCP server?

I think this would get annoying to see everytime you made a change - especially when you are making changes to switchports.

Thanks, Pat.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, the config archive feature doesn't support persisting each change when they are made.  That could be dangerous.  If a bad change is made such that the device reloads (but enough time is given to save the change), then the router may enter a reboot loop.

However, if you're sure you want to do this, then EEM can do it by reacting the SYS-5-CONFIG_I syslog message, or the PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD syslog message (generated by the archive feature).

Joseph,

what I have done is backup the config each time someone does a write mem and also once a day (1440) minutes. This is probably insurance enough that we are saving changes.

I don't quite follow what you mean by "If a bad change is made such that the device reloads (but enough time is given to save the change), then the router may enter a reboot loop."

could you provide an example?

Thanks, Pat.

What you describe is fully doable with config archive.  The config change I meant was more of an idea than something specific.  If you encounter a bug that could trigger a crash, you may commit the change before the device crashes.  Then this could trigger a reload loop.

A more probable example could be a change that locks you out of the device (maybe if the device is remote).  If the change is persisted, then a reload wouldn't recover.  In that case, you'd have to have someone onsite to fix the problem.