Views
Helpful
Replies

EEM/TCL script help for IOS upgradation

sathvik k v
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Need your inputs if its possible to write an EEM/TCL script to push IOS for remote devices. Follwoing are the requirements

1.login to remote device

2.check if enough available memory in flash for new IOS ( something like predefine the IOS image file and compare with available flash)

3. copy IOS from ftp server to flash

4. verify MD5 (execute verify command and compare the value with predefined MD5)

5. change the boot sequence.

6. reload

Regards,

Sathvik K V

4 Replies 4

jrethmann
Level 1
Level 1

If you want to push out IOS to remote devices I would recommend that you use EXPECT to accomplish your task.  It is much easier and you can use autoexpect to provide the framework within EXPECT that you need.  I find that you will have to clean up a bit, but it is a great start.  Also, EXPECT runs on TCL which can provide additional control with conditions/requirements that you may have.  On the other hand I have written EEM scripts that will copy a configuration and download an image from the switches in my lab so I don't have to do it.  It might be possible, depending on how strict your requirements are, the current version of EEM, and the platform/IOS that you are running.  The EEM is a powerful tool that can provide additional functionality, flexablity, and additional benefits.   

-Jim

Jim Thank you!!

Just a beginner to EEM/TCL have written some simple scripts and not much  aware about EXPECT. Could you share some doc's and examples which might help me to understand EXPECT

Regards,

Sathvik

Sathvik,

Here is where I would start first:

http://expect.sourceforge.net/

I also use Exploring Expect from O'Reilly as a reference.  That should get you started.  Have fun!

-Jim

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card