Helpful
Replies

Enable SFTP for DOCSIS 3.1 Upstream Triggered Spectrum Capture

miguel obregon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a question regarding the following article:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cable/cbr/configuration/guide/b_cbr_docsis_full_book_xe16_10/b_cbr_docsis_full_book_xe16_10_chapter_0100110.html

The article indicates that we can receive spectrum captures using TFTP. However, for security reasons we would like to use SFTP instead of TFTP. Is it possible to receive these spectrum captures using SFTP? Is it supported?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

somewhere else in the manual (search whole book for SFTP) it says:

• When the feature is operating in File mode, an external billing server must log into the Cisco CMTS to copy the billing records to the external server, using either Secure Copy (SCP) or Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP). The Cisco CMTS cannot operate as a FTP or secure FTP (SFTP) server.

of course this section is about receiving transfer requests not sending. but it may indicate the docsis is not capable of SFTP 
the Cisco feature navigator Cisco Feature Navigator also does not show SFTP as a supported feature for latest software release

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

pieterh
VIP
VIP

if you consider TFTP as insecure, you should not be using SNMPv2+community (also insecure) 
if you do continue using SNMPv2 why bother about using TFTP?

Hi pieterh,

Thanks for your answer. It is a valid point, but I believe we can sort this out by enabling SNMPv3.
I believe configuration about the spectrum captures can be handled using SNMPv3, however I am not sure if we have could use SFTP to receive spectrum captures. Do you happen to know if this is possible?

Thanks!

somewhere else in the manual (search whole book for SFTP) it says:

• When the feature is operating in File mode, an external billing server must log into the Cisco CMTS to copy the billing records to the external server, using either Secure Copy (SCP) or Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP). The Cisco CMTS cannot operate as a FTP or secure FTP (SFTP) server.

of course this section is about receiving transfer requests not sending. but it may indicate the docsis is not capable of SFTP 
the Cisco feature navigator Cisco Feature Navigator also does not show SFTP as a supported feature for latest software release

Hi @pieterh,

Thanks for the response!