Views
Helpful
Replies

FQDN Hostname for Syslog

InfoSecKeks
Beginner
Beginner

Hi All,

I am able to set a logging hostname in my Cisco routers/switches (3xxx, 4xxx), however, this FQDN appears to be instantly resolved (translated) to the IP address sitting behind the FQDN.

When I look at the running config, the logging host is no longer the hostname, but rather the IP address that was resolved when the logging host config line was entered. 

I want to ensure that syslog is sent to this FQDN rather than IP address due to DNS redundancy/fail-over configuration we have in place for these syslog collectors. 

Is there a way to do this?

Example below:

SWITCH(config)#logging host hostname.domain.com
Translating "hostname.domain.com"...domain server (1.2.3.4) [OK]
SWITCH(config)#
SWITCH(config)#exit
SWITCH#show run | i logging
no logging message-counter syslog
logging buffered 32000 informational
no logging console
no logging monitor
  logging enable
  logging size 1000
logging trap notifications
logging origin-id hostname
logging source-interface Vlan155
logging host 10.10.10.20 <--This is the current resolved IP of hostname.domain.com
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- Well , what you can do , is if you have multiple syslog servers behind a FQDN, is to list then all 'ip-wise' in the running-config.

M.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP Mentor VIP Mentor
VIP Mentor

- Not possible (what you want) ; probably because  in a networking environment there could be circumstances that the DNS is not reachable and then the switch wants to be able to keep logging (it is designed) that way.

M.

That makes sense. That's unfortunate though... Thanks for the reply.

- Well , what you can do , is if you have multiple syslog servers behind a FQDN, is to list then all 'ip-wise' in the running-config.

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: