Replies

Guest Network Bandwith

billybong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I've been asked to look into restricting bandwith on our guest network's

my question is what is the best option,

restricting the bandwith via the network port on the firewall or using QOS on the firewall

any help pointing me in the right is greatly appricated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@billybong wrote:

restricting the bandwith via the network port on the firewall or using QOS on the firewall

Restricting BEFORE hitting the firewall.  

Put the traffic shaping as-close-as-possible to the clients.  If the clients are wired, then the traffic shaping policy is applied on the switch port.  

If the traffic is wireless, then apply QoS or traffic shaping at the wireless end.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@billybong wrote:

Restricting BEFORE hitting the firewall.  

Put the traffic shaping as-close-as-possible to the clients.  If the clients are wired, then the traffic shaping policy is applied on the switch port.  

If the traffic is wireless, then apply QoS or traffic shaping at the wireless end.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's really no "right" answer as long as you accomplish your goal, i.e. to restrict guest Internet bandwidth consumption.

As @Leo Laohoo notes often you try to control traffic ASAP, so that it (for "efficiency") doesn't needlessly consume later "resources".

That noted, although you can, usually, actually control bandwidth consumption to/from any host, Internet bandwidth, to you, might be consumed before it gets to your control point.  (As often you want to not "clog" your Internet link with non-business traffic, it's not always possible beyond blocking some kinds of traffic, altogether.)