cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High CPU - SNMP ENGINE process

ssiwatibau
Level 1
Level 1

Based on the stace trace, how do I determine what object is being polled??? (what is causing the high cpu for SNMP ENGINE)

From the “show stack 295” output (SNMP ENGINE)

router>show stack 295

Process 295:  SNMP ENGINE

Stack segment 0x68226DC0 - 0x68229CA0

FP: 0x68229BD0, RA: 0x62A0D95C

FP: 0x68229BF8, RA: 0x628276A8

FP: 0x68229C68, RA: 0x629FBE08

FP: 0x68229C80, RA: 0x629FBDEC

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yeah, I backup srkala. Currently we dont have any external tool to decode the stacks.

These stacks needs to be decoded on the source code server for every perticular IOS and hence can't be made external.

For any issue you need to collect and post either to CSC, we can check that, or you can open the TAC case to get it reviewed.

Also, the decode information doesnt reveals much, it further needs processing to which will be out of scope for anyone without some intenal tools help.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am sure these Stack traces would not be helpful! An problem is indicated when you see almost 8-10+ rows of stack traces.

Also, show version and show proc cpu sort output is required too, to decode the traces.

Please note that, this output  should be taken when CPU is high, consucutively for 3-5 times.

-Thanks

I suppose what iam asking really is do you know if there is someway to decode the snmp engine contents in stack and tell what it is doing. At the time of high CPU we find SNMP ENGINE utilizing most cpu cycles and have looked to the stack to find which SNMP ENGINE process subroutine or function is active, but have found no way to date of deciphering what it is.  We are also monitoring polls of the MIB using the "show snmp statistics oid" cmd (maybe this is the better way).  Thanks

Contact TAC they will be able to decode stack.

Yeah, I backup srkala. Currently we dont have any external tool to decode the stacks.

These stacks needs to be decoded on the source code server for every perticular IOS and hence can't be made external.

For any issue you need to collect and post either to CSC, we can check that, or you can open the TAC case to get it reviewed.

Also, the decode information doesnt reveals much, it further needs processing to which will be out of scope for anyone without some intenal tools help.

-Thanks