cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Home network for practice

ammyo53
Level 1
Level 1

What products can I use to set up a simple home network for practice purposes.

Background info: I have some knowledge and mostly hands on training. I’m looking to build my fundamental knowledge. The system I work on at work has been set up and it has routers, switches, servers, VMs, firewalls and honestly it’s pretty complex. I know the ins and outs of my system I’m a pretty good sys ad and net ad and have fixed some pretty complex issues however, this is just because I have learned this specific system. If I were to be asked to set up a simple home network from scratch I would struggle. I’m trying to brush up my fundamentals and my wife mentioned interest in pursuing a cyber career.

What I want: A simple network with Cisco devices that we can practice on. Only looking to hook up a printer a laptop and maybe eventually connecting it to my home internet router to hook up my device’s wirelessly but I’m more concerned about practicing and learning.

Any device suggestions, tips, and starting points would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Martin L
VIP
VIP

eh, same question word in word but different user id ? homework ?

see https://community.cisco.com/t5/industrial-networking/home-network-for-practice/td-p/4839542

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You might also consider Cisco's Packet Tracer, the price is right, and/or (Cisco's) CML-personal.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: