cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does one disable mac address learning at an individual vlan level?

Orlando_Native
Level 1
Level 1

Nexus 9k 9336C-FX2 running nx-os 9.3.5.  Upon upgrade from nx-os 9.2.2; I immediately began getting messages about mac learning being disabled on the native vlan (which is distributed world-wide over thousands of switches) due to "to many mac moves".  There isn't really any important traffic on this vlan; it basically serves as the "catch all" for any misconfigurations; since all active ports on all switches company wide should have a specifically assigned vlan id.

Since trying to debug *every* potential misconfigured port is basically impossible; I was wondering if there is a way to permanently disable mac address learning for a specific vlan globally on the switch.  I understand it can be done at a specific interface level; and apparently for the switch as a whole.  But since the switch itself can apparently disable at the vlan level; it seems logical that one could actually configure it to do so permanently via configuration options.

Of course, I realize that logic doesn't always apply; but in this case I'm hoping it does.  Maybe it's just a case of not finding it; but searches and a lot of documentation reading so far  hasn't helped.  Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Just to make sure i got your question right.

You want to put a configuration to disable mac learning for a vlan.

Is that right?

If yes, you can try this command:

vlan configuration x
mac-learn disable

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Correct.  But apparently that's not supported in NX-OS 9.3.5 on a 9336C-FX2.  It gives me back "config not supported on platform".

I am having the same issue. Did you ever get this resolved?

Dear Sir,

I have problem in mac vlan learning.

How to disable mac learnin by vlan?

Software
BIOS: version 07.66
NXOS: version 7.0(3)I7(7)
BIOS compile time: 06/11/2019
NXOS image file is: bootflash:///nxos.7.0.3.I7.7.bin
NXOS compile time: 8/28/2019 16:00:00 [08/29/2019 00:41:42]

Hardware
cisco Nexus9000 93180YC-EX chassis

Apparently you can't.   Or; for that matter; for the entire switch until nxos 10.  Just another of those things that would have been really useful in the initial nxos release that Cisco apparently overlooked.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card