Views
Helpful
Replies

How to activate a Port for 2 V-Lan

Saizzou
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with one of my Customer who wanted to renew the Hardware. I build them a Server and a Network which has 6x Cisco SG550X-24MPP Switches. I made 2 V-Lans: 100 for a Client Pool and 200 for Surveillance Pool. On the Switch Port Gi1/0/16 is a custom Switch  which ends at one of their Room. On this Switch is 1 Security Cam connected and 1 Client. I can't do any changes on the Custom Switch. So I need to configure the Cisco SG550X-24MPP port to access the V-Lan 100 and V-Lan 200. I tried to configure the Port to a General which is Untagged for 100 and 200 but I still can't access the Client. Can anyone tell me how to configure the Port to access V-Lan 100 and 200? Am I missing a point?

Btw I can configure the switch with CLI too, so you can advise me with Cisco commands too.

Thank you all in advance.

Linux Administrator. Bachelor Informatik
1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not have enough information to really understand the situation or to give you good advice. In particular we do not know how the custom switch is configured. You mention that it has 2 devices. Does the custom switch configure 2 vlans? How does the custom switch configure the port that connects to your switch?

I do not have much experience with the SG550X switch so I will answer in general terms that apply to most switches and you can figure out how that would apply to your SG550X. You can configure a switch port as an access port or as a trunk port (and on some switches you can configure it as a routed port, but that would not apply for your situation). If a switch port is configured as an access port then it is associated with a single vlan (on some switches an access port can also have a second vlan as a voice vlan, but I do not think that this applies to your situation). If a switch port is configured as a trunk then it can carry multiple vlans. So it sounds like what you need is to configure the port connecting to the custom switch as a trunk, carrying vlans 100 and 200.

And perhaps the most important thing is that if you are not able to make any changes on custom switch then you need to find out how that switch is configured and make your switch match that.

HTH

Rick