cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to copy ios image from PC to GNS3?

vikram4
Level 1
Level 1

I researched on this issue on internet but couldn't find a clear cut solution, so need your advice.

Iam writing an ansible script for automating the entire IOS upgrade process. So I plan to test IOS upgrade activity in GNS3 using ansible.

My script need to copy ios image using FTP or TFTP to router in GNS3, so my understanding is that ios image file need to be within GNS3 in order for me to do this automation (correct me if iam wrong). How do i copy ios image from my PC to a virtual PC or some other device WITHIN GNS3?

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can not simulate the upgrade process using GNS3, you need Physical hardware.

you can utilize exiting images on GNS3 to build labs and make use of script automate LAB config.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin L
VIP
VIP

GNS3 is installed on your PC; runs from your PC, so if you already have image on your PC, let's say drive C folder images, then you do not need to copy anything anywhere.  Even GNS3 server version (not stand-alone GNS), copies images from PC to GNS server by itself.  You cannot copy anything to virtual PC.

You can copy files from PC to router flash running inside GNS3.  But I don't think you can tell GNS router to use his flash to boot; GNS software dictates how router boots and that it must use your image stored on C drive.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card