cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Get Suggested IOS Version For Cisco Devices ?

pankaj.bandewar
Level 1
Level 1

Please Provide Me the details for how to find /get suggested IOS for Various Routers and Switches .

My Manager told me to Create a PM(Preventive Maintainance ) Report For every Devices.

Please Specify Steps or replated information to get it.

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Go to the software download page for the respective devices. In many cases Cisco has a suggested software release and, when they do, they indicate it with a Gold Star next to the release number.

For devices without a recommended release, you are required to do some independent thinking and analysis. :) The software research page shown in the screenshot below may help but it can be pretty overwhelming and mostly shows you what images support which platforms and features (without suggesting one over another all things being equal)

Here's an example page (for Catalyst 4500 with Sup 8-E in this case - open image in new tab to zoom):

I would argue that you must test (independent thinking and analysis) every code version that is downloaded.  Cisco cannot (and does not) test every possible feature for any code release.  

joerose646741
Level 1
Level 1

You just goto Cisco IOS download page, and take the Gold Star for you model device.   Thats the best way to decide on code these days

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just want to mention, even when Cisco has a "recommended" version, it may not be the ideal choice for you.

The "recommended" version generally is a generic version.  You might need a version that supports a specific software or hardware feature not in the "recommended" version.

Further, even when a generic version is suitable for your needs, sometimes an "older" release is actually more stable/solid than the current "recommended" version.  Software doesn't wear out.  What you might consider, if running an older release, is whether that train is still under active maintenance, i.e. discovered bugs, especially security bugs, are being patched.  If so, PM might just be updating to a more recent release of your older software train rather than jumping into a whole new software train.

That said, you should note when software maintenance will be stopped for your version, and plan to moving to a newer train where maintenance will still be provided.

When it comes to maintenance, there are two major schools of thought.  One is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The other is, "you need to stay current".  Both have their pluses and minuses.  My belief is, often it's good to consider the whole situation, where in any one case, you might go to one extreme or the other, or somewhere in between.