Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

install ios 2801

hi ,,, i bought cisco 2801 from amazon when the router is opening  the sys pwr lamp is flashing , the router was come without compact flash card and ios,  how i can install the ios without cf by using flash memory (usb drive ) >

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
how i can install the ios without cf by using flash memory (usb drive ) >

By default, ISR G1 routers, including your 2801, do NOT support USB-boot of any kind.  In order to support USB boot, the bootstrap needs to be upgraded and I seriously doubt if the seller did.  

The only way to boot the IOS is through CF.  You can get any third-party CF (non-Cisco branded) as long as they are supported and/or they are of the "standard" Type 2 CF format.  It is recommended that you go to your favorite electronics or camera shop and get a few different sized CF from different manufacturer (size up to 8 Gb).  Before you load the IOS into the CF (using your computer with a multi-media card reader) please ensure the CF is formatted using FAT 16.  Not all manufacturers follow the Type 2 CF standard (and won't be mentioned in the pack) so you'll need to acquire a few different brand/sizes until one is recognized by the appliance.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
how i can install the ios without cf by using flash memory (usb drive ) >

By default, ISR G1 routers, including your 2801, do NOT support USB-boot of any kind.  In order to support USB boot, the bootstrap needs to be upgraded and I seriously doubt if the seller did.  

The only way to boot the IOS is through CF.  You can get any third-party CF (non-Cisco branded) as long as they are supported and/or they are of the "standard" Type 2 CF format.  It is recommended that you go to your favorite electronics or camera shop and get a few different sized CF from different manufacturer (size up to 8 Gb).  Before you load the IOS into the CF (using your computer with a multi-media card reader) please ensure the CF is formatted using FAT 16.  Not all manufacturers follow the Type 2 CF standard (and won't be mentioned in the pack) so you'll need to acquire a few different brand/sizes until one is recognized by the appliance.

thank you , after buy the cf Card and formatted using fat16 how the system loading the ios on CF Card , and what the ios should be choosing for cisco 2801 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: