Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

install ios 2801

hi ,,, i bought cisco 2801 from amazon when the router is opening  the sys pwr lamp is flashing , the router was come without compact flash card and ios,  how i can install the ios without cf by using flash memory (usb drive ) >

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
how i can install the ios without cf by using flash memory (usb drive ) >

By default, ISR G1 routers, including your 2801, do NOT support USB-boot of any kind.  In order to support USB boot, the bootstrap needs to be upgraded and I seriously doubt if the seller did.  

The only way to boot the IOS is through CF.  You can get any third-party CF (non-Cisco branded) as long as they are supported and/or they are of the "standard" Type 2 CF format.  It is recommended that you go to your favorite electronics or camera shop and get a few different sized CF from different manufacturer (size up to 8 Gb).  Before you load the IOS into the CF (using your computer with a multi-media card reader) please ensure the CF is formatted using FAT 16.  Not all manufacturers follow the Type 2 CF standard (and won't be mentioned in the pack) so you'll need to acquire a few different brand/sizes until one is recognized by the appliance.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
how i can install the ios without cf by using flash memory (usb drive ) >

By default, ISR G1 routers, including your 2801, do NOT support USB-boot of any kind.  In order to support USB boot, the bootstrap needs to be upgraded and I seriously doubt if the seller did.  

The only way to boot the IOS is through CF.  You can get any third-party CF (non-Cisco branded) as long as they are supported and/or they are of the "standard" Type 2 CF format.  It is recommended that you go to your favorite electronics or camera shop and get a few different sized CF from different manufacturer (size up to 8 Gb).  Before you load the IOS into the CF (using your computer with a multi-media card reader) please ensure the CF is formatted using FAT 16.  Not all manufacturers follow the Type 2 CF standard (and won't be mentioned in the pack) so you'll need to acquire a few different brand/sizes until one is recognized by the appliance.

thank you , after buy the cf Card and formatted using fat16 how the system loading the ios on CF Card , and what the ios should be choosing for cisco 2801