cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA Monitoring MIB

DM812
Level 1
Level 1

I've setup an icmp-echo IP SLA on a Cisco C9300 to ping another device on our network.

I'm now trying to monitor the amount of timeouts seen by the IP SLA job in our monitoring tool (WhatsUp Gold) but when setting up the monitor, the issue I'm having is the OID "instance" is dynamic and not the IP SLA number (see screenshot attached, IP SLA number is 5 and 10 on the switch).

Does anyone know a way around the dynamic instance issue to get a report on timeouts?

The OID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.42.1.3.2.1.2 for rttMonStatsCollectTimeouts.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I don't understand the question. What are you monitoring exactly ? And what OID instance is dynamic (and what are you expecting) ?

I basically want to see how many icmp-echo's have timed out within the IP SLA operation, config below...

I can monitor the RTT using OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.42.1.2.10.1.1 instance 5 (monitors the IP SLA 5 instance below) but want to monitor the timeouts/failures.

ip sla 5
icmp-echo [dest IP] source-ip [source IP]
request-data-size 15000
frequency 2
threshold 7
timeout 7
!
ip sla schedule 5 start-time now life forever

When you run "sh ip sla statistics" it shows number of failures...

Latest RTT: 5 milliseconds
Latest operation start time: 14:43:50 GMT Wed Jan 5 2022
Latest operation return code: OK
Number of successes: 858
Number of failures: 16
Operation time to live: Forever

As I have done with the above IP SLA RTT monitoring, the instance stays as 5 due to the IP SLA operation on the switch being 5, but when you try to monitor the timeouts/failures in bold above, the instance is 5.*dynamicnumbers* which I'm guessing is down to the IP SLA history/hours kept statistics, but I ideally need the instance to stay the same or a way around this for consistent monitoring of the timeouts/failures.

Try using snmpgetnext or snmpwalk on the static portion of the OID and it will expand to include the dynamic numbers.  The tool will need the entire OID including the dynamic numbers if using snmpget.

[root@CrashCart mibwalk]# snmpgetnext -v 2c -c public 192.168.0.224 rttMonStatsCollectTimeouts.5 2>/dev/null
CISCO-RTTMON-MIB::rttMonStatsCollectTimeouts.5.46254575.1.1 = INTEGER: 56

lab-csr1#show ip sla stat
IPSLAs Latest Operation Statistics

IPSLA operation id: 5
	Latest RTT: NoConnection/Busy/Timeout
Latest operation start time: 16:02:06 UTC Thu Jan 6 2022
Latest operation return code: Timeout
Number of successes: 0
Number of failures: 56
Operation time to live: Forever

Hello,

Can we use 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.42.1.2.10.1.1 for simple IP SLA(ICMP) monitoring?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card