Views
Helpful
Replies

IPV6 "ipv6 route" configuration

daniel4579329
Spotlight
Spotlight

HI 

1. in ipv6 route commands can i pute " ipv6 route prefix /length outgoing int next hop ip addres " and if so, is it only for ethernet link or only for serial link or both ?

2. can someone explain to me the "ipv6 address autoconfig default  ? ( i understand what the ipv6 address autoconfig command do, its just the default parameter that confused me 

3. in the ipv6 default route command types of parameters can i put after the ipv6 route ::/0  (can i put outgoing int / next hop ip address / both ) ?

thanks for all the help (:

3 Replies 3

Martin L
VIP
VIP

1. both Ethernet Or Serial will work with static routes.  You can specify interface id Or You can use global IP address (from 2001:x:x:x) as next-hop. Or, you can use Link local IP (FE80::) as next hop but with that you must also add interface id. Examples:

ip route 2001:aaaa:bbbb:cccc::/64 Serial0/0 FE80::FF:FE00:2

ip route 2001:aaaa:bbbb:cccc::/64 2001:dddd:0:0:0::1

ip route 2001:aaaa:bbbb:cccc::/64 Gi0/0

3. Rules are same for ipv6 default routes as those mentioned at 1.

2. "default" keyword in "ipv6 address autoconfig  means add a default route to configuration while autoconfig  keyword means use SLAAC.  it is like ip route ::/0 xyz but automatic for you.  This means that entry with ::/0 via xyz will show up in routing table.  Without "default" keyword, you will not see "default" route'

You should lab this in PT cause show ip routintg will look different; codes and AD is different since this is via SLAC.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

thanks for the reply 

1. i know these rules, what i am asking is about putting the outgoing int and next ip addres (not link local) on the same command

2. i understand but i feel like it would be perfect if you will explain a little bit more (:

oh, yes, you can use it, example ipv6 route ::0/0  g1/0  2001:0:0:0::A 

Re:2,  "default" keyword in "ipv6 address autoconfig means router will add ipv6 route ::0/0 xyz  for you. and you will see  ::/0 via xyz  in routing table. If you do not want default route to be added automatically; or you already have one confiugured, you skip "default" keyword at the end,

You can find more info on youtube; Also,  I would recommend CCNA books by W. Odom (ciscopress, 2016 and newer).