cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way for a Cisco 2960 switch to emit a sound?

C-Kf
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying to locate a Cisco 2960 in a big building but we don't know where it is installed. There is a high possibility that it is installed under the floor so we are trying to look for ways on how we can locate it physically. 

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope.

However, if the 2960 is in a dusty surrounding the dust will cake around the hamster wheel and it will be noisy. 

Go to the site when the area is devoid of people and just listen.

cmmiller1
Level 1
Level 1

No.  Depending on which model 2960 you have, some have very loud fans (2960X for example) and during boot up they sound like a jet engine.  Suggesting you reboot if possible and walk around and you may be able to pick up some booting noise as the switch tests out all of its functions.

Indeed, those with variable speed fans often initially start with fans at high speed.  Unfortunately, usually doesn't stay in high speed fan mode very long (just multiple seconds, I recall).

The one installed is a 24P 2960L. Will give this a try. Thanks for the advice!

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- No they can not make a sound (on command that is) , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No way to trace data cables to it?

The cable from the distribution switch going to the 2960 switch goes through a conduit thus difficult to trace. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card