cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Kill a bay in a 2105-800

ihorihorihor
Level 1
Level 1

We have 4 bays in a 2105-800 SHark - each bay has four ports. Our MDS Cisco 9509 is connected to the Shark with two fiber lines - going to two different bays. We need to shut down one of the bays to pull out a card - this action will kill all other connections in that bay.

If I just have IBM pull out the bay - all data should automatically flow through the the other line - I assume.

Question:

Does the DISABLE PORT in the Fabric/Device Manager quiesce traffic in a non disruptive way - meaning should I always disable lines on the MDS. Or does the disable port option do nothing more than just pulling out the bay in the SHark?

thanks

SKIP

2 Replies 2

ihorihorihor
Level 1
Level 1

Followup info - I am now running 1.3(4a) llevel of the Operating System.

I see in 2.0(1b) the following enhancement:

As of Release 2.0(1b), the Cisco MDS SAN-OS software implicitly performs a graceful shutdown in response to either of the following actions:

•If you shutdown an interface operating in the E port mode

•If a Cisco MDS SAN-OS software application executes a port shutdown as part of its function

This enhancement would emply to me that a port shutdown before 2.0(1b) would mean a possible frame loss?

Is the new enhancement in 2.0(1b) - discribed above - only relate to switch to switch (ISL) connections and have nothing to do with a Disable Port command - for a port going from the MDS to a 2105-800 Shark?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card