Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 Switch script to shutdown a port based IP reachability

oguarisco
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

I would like to know if using EEM I can shutdown a Gigabit interface based on IP reachability of the remote neighbor via ping?

And no shutdown when the IP reachability is reestablished? I'm Using IOS-XE

I ask this because I've a L2 connection which is not directly end-to-end but it have some network component (DWDM) in the middle for signal regeneration.

The provider of the DWDM circuit confirm that the signal is NOT end-to-end so in case there is a failure ine the circuit the interfaces of the L3 switches won't go down and the traffic is still routed on this path since on the Routing table he routes are still present also if the remote neighbor is not reachable

should I Use the track with the event manager applet IOS commands???

Many Thanks

Saluti

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello
EEM is a nice feature and combine this with ip sla would provide you with the result your seeking

Attached is a sample config

Res

Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

Hello

Glad I could help, would you be so kind and rate any posts applicable and mark answered so it will be of assistance to future postiers

Res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

avayner
Level 1
Level 1

I would recommend looking at feature based capabilities before implementing things with EEM... This way it would be easier to support etc...

The functionality you are asking for should be available on your platform (I assume you are on ASR1K as you are mentioning IOS-XE). You should look at BFD...

Here are a few references:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bfd/configuration/xe-3s/irb-bi-fwd-det.html

You mentioned static routes, so maybe this is also relevant:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bfd/configuration/xe-3s/irb-xe-3s-book_chapter_01000.html

Arie

Hello Arie,

Thanks for the information...actually I'm on a cat4500X.

Is BFD a standard protocol? Which could be used also with non Cisco devices???

Regarding EEM I'll definitively take a look at the feature, maybe I'll find something useful there ,-)

Omar

Omar,

BFD is an IETF RFC defined by a number of RFCs (RFC5880-5884) and it is widely implemented. Most vendors should support it today.

For 4500X take a look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15.1.2/XE_340/configuration/guide/bfd.html

Arie

Hello
EEM is a nice feature and combine this with ip sla would provide you with the result your seeking

Attached is a sample config

Res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,

Thank a lot... I remember correctly that you can do it with EEM but I've forgot the name of the feature (IP SLA)

Thanks again!!!

Omar

Hello

Glad I could help, would you be so kind and rate any posts applicable and mark answered so it will be of assistance to future postiers

Res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: