Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

License WLC Cisco 5520 after primary HA failure

Hello,

I had two WLC 5520 controllers in HA. the primary failed and the secondary went into action. The license however seems to have a problem as it is in evaluation and active state not in use, as the screenshot.

Should the secondary have absorbed the primary's licenses?

Otherwise how can I transfer the primary licenses to the secondary one?

Also always because of the license I think ... I can't add other AP to the WLC, even configuring the IP reservation in the DHCP server that manages the others AP already present and in operation.

Regards,

AB

6 Replies 6

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi,

Normally licenses should have been "transfered" when failover occured if everything was setup correctly.
Anyways, on WLC 5520, it's "honor" based licenses which means no license file needs to be uploade. You can add licenses going on the menu where you were when you took the screenshot.
Here a link explaining the licensing on this WLC model:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/3504-wireless-controller/214106-licensing-on-3504-5520-and-8540-wireles.html#anc8

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Ty, Francesco

One of point of link say:

A. If a license status is active, but not it use, it means that license is active, but there are no AP joined to that controller that are using said license. Once the AP joins to the controller, the status of the license will be changed to "Active, In Use".

So these words are present on my screen, but contrary to what is written I have 100 AP connected and in operation.

The problem is that by adding other APs the WLC does not recognize them. Could the cause be the license? That is in evaluation status..

Regards

AB

Thanks, my problem is that after the primary failure, self provisioning no longer works, adding other APs are not displayed in the WLC console. I think it's due to the license or not?

I have configured the linux DHCP server to reserve a particular IP address linked to the MAC address of the AP (As already present on others AP Active), some of them are also pingable, but do not appear in the WLC management.
How could I solve it?

It’s probably due to license issues. Add licenses as i said in my previous answer or stated on the link i forwarded and retry.
If not working can you run the following debugs:
debug capwap events enable
debug capwap errors enable
debug pm pki enable

Then try to force a reboot of an AP and send us the logs please.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

thanks for the answer, I'll insert the license from the panel that you suggested, but the license ... the file to be loaded .. it is not clear to me, where can I recover it if it was present on the primary WLC which is no longer there as it has failed into HA.
As a manual, they should have been acquired automatically by the secondary, after the primary broke, but this did not happen.

Now it's difficult to figure out why the licenses where not synced. However, on 5520, normally there's no need to import any license file. You just have to add licenses based on what you purchased and that's it. Did you see the licenses you've added?

Thanks
Francesco