Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 unreachable devices

gaboughanem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have installed LMS 3.2 on VM, i started auto device discovery some devices are unreachable and other are not showing at all.

my toplogy is that

In Head Office: i have a core switch connecting the access switch and it is also connected to a router (wan router) connecting to other branches routers.

i have an access-list, on the ouside interface , on both sides of the wan router and branches (in direction) restricting any telnet from router to router.

if i want to access any branch router i have to do it from LAN in HO.*

i have set the seed devices for cdp and ping sweep  the core switch and the WAN router in HO side.

LMS shows all the devices which are in the HO (all switches, core and wan router ) as reachable, but it shows the  ip of the outside interaface of the wan

branch router unreachable. although i want to see all the switches also in the branches(it is not showing at all neither reachable nor unreachable )

as i understood that the seed devices walk into each device by telneting.

Note that the access-lists are permitting snmp

1- is this might be the problem ?

2- i cannot see the logs regarding the discovery in dfm

Appreciate any help

Regards and thanks in advance

George

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, Discovery doesn't use telnet at all.  It uses SNMP almost exclusively.  The exception is the ping sweep module which first pings an address, then polls it with SNMP if the address is reachable.  See this document for more details:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9005

An unreachable device in Discovery is not reachable via SNMP.  If the devices are not showing up at all, then check your Discovery filters to make sure you are not filtering out the branch devices.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card