Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 - eMail Notification when Linkup/Linkdown on SW

stephane.lhp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Something very stupid to do with any other Management Solution, but so complicated with CiscoWorks !

I just want to receive a notification by eMail when any port of my Switches send a linkup or linkdown traps.

On my Switch, I configured like this :

snmp-server community cisco RO
snmp-server community cisco RW
snmp-server location C3750-24-Lab
snmp-server enable traps snmp linkdown linkup coldstart
snmp-server host 10.168.191.46 trap cisco

I check, I'm correctly receiving TRAPS on my server. But is there any "How-To" manual to explain that case exactly ?

Any search on the forum doesn't show this for LMS 4.

Please, could you explain me, as simple as possible, how to do this ?

I Just want to see in my email :

Switch C3750-24-Lab - Port fa0/13 linkup at 11h34s54 on 12.03.2011

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

You best use "automated actions" under monitor -> fault settings ->syslog  for this, based on syslog messages rather than traps.

It is very straightforward. You give it a part of the syslog message and add a mail action to it.

The built in help has an example.

Do prepare for a lot of mail though 

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

You best use "automated actions" under monitor -> fault settings ->syslog  for this, based on syslog messages rather than traps.

It is very straightforward. You give it a part of the syslog message and add a mail action to it.

The built in help has an example.

Do prepare for a lot of mail though 

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Thank you for your answer.

Of course, I found yersteday another way to do this with Syslog indeed.

But, I was just wondering to do same as other Network Management Software, with SNMP Traps. It would be better and faster I think.

I tried to go to Admin> Network> Notification  and Action Settings> Event Sets , to edit Event Sets, but I'm really surprised to see how we are limited with options. We cannot add or edit these sets as we want.

I'm very surprised not to find default option for Port Link Status Changes sent by eMail, because it's something that everyone ask in the first time when using LMS 4. (Just to take an example of SNMP Traps Notifications).

Hi Stephane!

You are right!

The Event Sets is very simple ( stone age )

The are some predefinied sets only. Thus this solutution is not suitable for  detailed event notifications.

I think every serious network manager have to use other softver for this.

regards,

Wel actually most people do not want to receive a mail because a port goes down.

They want to get a mail if for instance a link between 2 switches goes down, but not when a user port goes down because he/she powers off

DFM will do this type of monitoring for you and you can tell it the notify you via mail/trap or syslog.

And it will do more. It can also tell you if the port has too many errors or too much load.

The things you can do are limited but sufficient for most people

Cheers,

Michel

DFM does listens to Linkup/Linkdown traps.

It will only give you email notification if you have configured a Notification Group followed by Email Notification for Notification group.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

I don't think it does, but don't take my word for it.

Try it in your lab. What I see makes me think DFM decides on SNMP polling whether it should raise an event.

Cheers,

Michel