cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 not starting after upgrade

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am running LMS 4.0 on Windows 2008 Server, recently changed from eval copy to licensed (for 750 devices). It had been running and working for several months.The license application worked fine and it ran a couple days that way.

I then downloaded the CiscoWorks_LMS_4.0.x_WIN2K8_R2.exe patch so that I could upgrade the server OS to Windows Server 2008 R2. Per the instructions in the patch readme I first proceeded to upgrade my server to 2008 R2. Then I installed the patch (patch only).

After doing this (and restarting the server) CiscoWorks daemons will no longer start. I have confirmed my paging file size (swap) is set to start at 8192 MB (8 GB) as required. I tried manuallly starting (net start crmdmgtd) without sucess. I see the initial dmgt_start_lock lock file in C:\Program Files (x86)\CSCOpx\objects\dmgt\ready but none of the other process lock files ever pop in and out as they would normally and the processes (and thus CiscoWorks server) never start.

Any suggestions?

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bump,

No suggestions? I guess a TAC case is in order.

The "patch" is as far as I know some sort of launcher for the installation setup.exe.

When I run the "patch" al I get is the question where my installer is, so I can install LMS.

I have not yet tried to run this on an existing LMS installation. Nor upgrading the OS on an LMS installation :-)

Does the "patch" have a different behavior when LMS is already installed?

If not, I suggest to use the cleansystem.exe in the CSCOpx\bin to remove the current install, reinstall use the patch to launch the installer and restore a backup

Cheers,

Michel

I had hoped I was doing something simple incorrectly but it appears that the Windows Server 2008 R2 patch is not working properly when applied over and existing installation. A TAC case and multiple efforts on my part failed to get that mode to work. I tried both the 'patch only" and patch with reinstall" methods over my existing installation.

I ended up having to do a complete uninstall (after backup) and then reinstall using the patch. That straightened things out and I now have aworking LMS 4.0 with Windows Server 2008 R2 as the base OS.

The clean_system.exe could have saved you the time of the unistall.Since cisco includes it in the distribution I think we should use it.

I'm never to keen on changing the OS of an LMS server and for now tell my custome that want to upgrade their 2003 server to 2008 to do a format c:

Cheers,

Michel

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card