Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 support unknown device type?

Alex Pham
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Though ASA5585-X S-20 and UCS C200 are not in LMS 4.0 supported device table, I'm wondering if there is any way to monitor these devices using LMS? Our data centre has a quite number of UCS C200 servers and two ASA5585-X S-20.

Thank you.

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

LMS is not really designed to do anything useful with unsupported devices. In some cases you can send syslogs to the LMS server but that's about it.

I suspect ASA 5585 will be added to LMS in the not-too-distant future. Some other folks have been asking about it here. Even when they do get LMS support, management of ASAs is pretty limited - see the earlier 5500 series devices for what's available on them. Managing a larger set of ASAs is best done using Cisco Security Manager (CSM). It does support 5585, among others. See this link.

UCS C200 is really just a server. You can get some management capability of the server itself using the CIMC GUI (standalone mode) or UCS Manager (when installed in a UCS setup). See this link. Other than that, the OS and services running on it are generally more interesting and best managed via a server/application-centric tool as opposed to a network-centric one.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

LMS is not really designed to do anything useful with unsupported devices. In some cases you can send syslogs to the LMS server but that's about it.

I suspect ASA 5585 will be added to LMS in the not-too-distant future. Some other folks have been asking about it here. Even when they do get LMS support, management of ASAs is pretty limited - see the earlier 5500 series devices for what's available on them. Managing a larger set of ASAs is best done using Cisco Security Manager (CSM). It does support 5585, among others. See this link.

UCS C200 is really just a server. You can get some management capability of the server itself using the CIMC GUI (standalone mode) or UCS Manager (when installed in a UCS setup). See this link. Other than that, the OS and services running on it are generally more interesting and best managed via a server/application-centric tool as opposed to a network-centric one.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply.

However, i'm still confused why cisco not support all type of ASA. LMS 4.0 does support ASA 5580-40, but not ASA5580-X SSP-20.

It's unproductive when having CSM to monitor ASA alone while having LMS to monitor all other devices.

Is there any monitoring solution that can help me to monitor all network  devices: ASR 1002 router, Nexus 7K, Nexus 5K, WLC, ASA and Catalyst  Switches?

Well, network management is always a balance between your goals and various vendors' / products' capabilities. CiscoWorks LMS has a very rich set of capabilities for the many Cisco products it supports. However, Cisco products number in the thousands (literally) and it would be impractical to make one product be all things for all of those products. For those products Cisco does support in LMS, there is a certain amount of development work required to deliver that set of robust management capabilities. It is always a business decision as to how much of that investment is made and how quickly once a product is in the pipeline.

If all you want is simple up / down status and perhaps traffic volume graphs, you can certainly use one of the more basic products out there, even open source ones. Nagios + Cacti + Rancid is a good trio that can manage availability, performance and configuration respectively. They are also multi-vendor, allowing one to manage not only Cisco but also third party products. On the commercial products side, many shops are happy with Solarwinds Orion NPM or IPSwitch's Whatsupgold.

LMS will monitor all of the devices you listed in your above post; just not, as noted earlier, the ASA5580-X SSP-20 variant (yet).

Hope this helps and thanks for the rating.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Note that the 5585 is now supported under LMS 4.0.1 and LMS 4.1.

I did upgrade to 4.0.1 but the status is still unknown. I checked cisco doc and it shown clearly that

Cisco ASA-5585 Adaptive Security Appliance is supported with sysObjectID of 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1194, 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1196 and 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1198. I cannot find them from Inventory -> Add/Import/Manage Devices. What should i do? Thanks.

Is your LMS 4.0. up to date with respect to its packages? (Admin > System > Software Center > Software Update)

If so, once you add the ASA 5585(s), they should be able to be inventoried and software managed. They will not be supported in Topology view - ASAs never have been.

We are using Ciso LMS 4.1 and I was able to add Cisco ASA 5520 but it would not show the model no etc, only polling I guess. The firewall is added using SNMP V3.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco