cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.1 Backup

Jacob Berger
Level 2
Level 2

What exactly does the Backup under Admin>>Backup do?.

i want it to backup my config archive (C:\Program Files (x86)\CSCOpx\files\rme\dcma)

but in the directory i choose for backup i dont see the config files

does it only backup the server settings and databases?

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Backup feature will take an entire backup of ciscowork data and its db, which includes users and credentials, Topology information, device and credentials, configuration archive, settings, jobs, fault management data and history, custom settings, etc, almost everything.

A backup is useful when the LMS goes through complete crash and need to be rebuilt, or if in case needs to be migrated from one platform/server to another.

You must always have backup saved to recover form such conditions. The backup of perticular information, like configurations are saved in perticular databses inside the xxx.tar files in backup.

You cannot manually restore the selective information from backup, it has to be completly restored using a restore utility script : NMSROOT/bin/restorebackup.pl.

For mroe detals check :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.1/user/guide/admin/server.html#wp1087791

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

YUP,

I keep weekly archives of my configs so that I can track changes of the running and start configs of the switches.  The full Backup I run to ensure I have a backup of all the jobs, inventory, etc just incase I ever have a failure ( rarely needed, but you never know)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Backup feature will take an entire backup of ciscowork data and its db, which includes users and credentials, Topology information, device and credentials, configuration archive, settings, jobs, fault management data and history, custom settings, etc, almost everything.

A backup is useful when the LMS goes through complete crash and need to be rebuilt, or if in case needs to be migrated from one platform/server to another.

You must always have backup saved to recover form such conditions. The backup of perticular information, like configurations are saved in perticular databses inside the xxx.tar files in backup.

You cannot manually restore the selective information from backup, it has to be completly restored using a restore utility script : NMSROOT/bin/restorebackup.pl.

For mroe detals check :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.1/user/guide/admin/server.html#wp1087791

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

so, to be fully backed up

i should create a backup job for full backup and recovery

and a separate backup config archive for specific recovery?

thanks

?

YUP,

I keep weekly archives of my configs so that I can track changes of the running and start configs of the switches.  The full Backup I run to ensure I have a backup of all the jobs, inventory, etc just incase I ever have a failure ( rarely needed, but you never know)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: