Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.2 | discovery based on specific IP Adress

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Netpro

1)is there any methods to let LMS 4.2 discover Cisco devices based on specific ip like Loopback address ? coz in my Cisco devices i have more than ip address configured , please advice?

thanks

ibrahim

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That feature has been around for a while - you don't really need to discover - just setup a default credential set and import your devices from a file.

See chapters 4 and 5 of the Admin Guide.

Hi Marvin

1)Can y post for me the file format , how is look like , how the device IP Mentioned in this file?

2)after you import the file to LMS 4.2 how the LMS Discover how devices connected to each other

thanks

ibrahim

1. Please refer to the context-sensitive help when you get to this step. It will give you a page with very detailed file formats and fields that are used (see screenshot below from my lab server). That page is also in Chapter 4 of the Inventory Management guide online.

2. Device adjacencies are determined via a correlation of various MIB variables including CDP neighbor details and other details. I recommend you read through Joe Clarke's document on understanding LMS discovery.

One thing to note is that is is best to have the IP addresses of the devices in DNS. If that is difficult for whatever reason, the first create a local hosts file with the devices. You will get better results if the device IPs resolve to host names.

Thanks a lot Martin