cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.2 to PI 2.1

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

Ok so I have a current bare metal Windows installation of LMS 4.2 managing around 400 devices.

I recently added some wireless capabilities and so I want to install PI 2.1 to manage that piece, and I was considering collocating this with some other services on a VM host.

Now here is my dilemma.   Support for LMS seems to be pretty much non-existent and I would like to abandon it.  Will PI 2.1 replace that functionality? Config management, syslog, fault management, etc?  I am trying to decide if I want to spin off my existing LMS installation to a VM and install PI on the LMS hardware.  That decision is predicated on whether or not PI is a viable replacement.

Is PI support any better than LMS support?  I really have a bad taste in my mouth and if I have to lay out any money for this PI upgrade I would seriously consider jumping ship for something else.

Thanks,

-Jeff

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you're unhappy with the TAC support for LMS, you will find it similar for PI. Personally, I have always received good support from the TAC on LMS.

PI 2.1 can do about 80% of LMS 4.2's functions. It also has a whole set of functions that LMS doesn't have. See the functional comparison and transitioning documents here.

The published documentation and body of community knowledge on PI still falls far short of what's available for LMS.

Also, PI needs to run on either an NCS appliance or as a guest on a VMware ESX hypervisor.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card