Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS config deployement with new device

yoshipower
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have recovered some configuration files from my 2950 switches with the Configuration Archive Tool in LMS.

Now, I'd like to replace my old 2950s by 2960 switches, which have the same number of ports.

Will there be any issue if I copy the exact same config from 2950 to 2960 ? Will some features not work or is everything interoperable ?

Here's an extract of the config :

Global

version 12.1

no service pad

service timestamps debug  datetime

service timestamps log datetime

no service password-encryption

hostname sw48

logging buffered 20000 debugging

enable secret 5  ********

enable password ********

clock timezone UTC 1

clock  summer-time UTC recurring last Sun Mar 2:00 last Sun Oct 3:00

ntp  clock-period 17179870

ntp server 192.168.32.17

ntp server 192.168.32.18

IP

IP Global

ip subnet-zero

ip default-gateway  172.25.1.1

ip http server

Spanning Tree

spanning-tree mode  rapid-pvst

no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission

spanning-tree  extend system-id

Interface

Interface FastEthernet0/1

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,17,1001-1005

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 17

spanning-tree  portfast

[...]

Interface Vlan1

interface Vlan1

no ip address

no ip  route-cache

shutdown

Interface Vlan25

interface Vlan25

ip  address 172.25.11.48 255.255.0.0

no ip route-cache

SNMP

snmp-server community ******** RO

snmp-server community ******** RW

Line

Line con 0

line con 0

Line vty 0 4

line vty 0 4

password ********

login

Line vty 5 15

line vty 5 15

password ********

login

Thank you for your further help !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The 2960 is just an upgrade of the 2950 switch much like the 2960S is an upgrade of the 2960 so there should be no major problems unless there are some weird commands on the interfaces themselves. Nothing shown above looks like it wouldn't work to me.

You may want to go through the config a little, having enable secret and enable password is worthless, only keep enable secret, it is more secure. service password-encryption and some ACL's on SNMP might also be worth considering, depends how security concencious you are. Also the new enable secret command on IOS 15.1+ I think uses encryption type 4 to encrypt the password, again more secure but up to you. I'm guessing this is more about will it work rather than pointing out best practices that are fairly well documented by many others.

If you do come across a line of unsupported config the 2960 should give a warning or error anyway, things don't go boom and blow blue smoke, most of the time anyway.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

The 2960 is just an upgrade of the 2950 switch much like the 2960S is an upgrade of the 2960 so there should be no major problems unless there are some weird commands on the interfaces themselves. Nothing shown above looks like it wouldn't work to me.

You may want to go through the config a little, having enable secret and enable password is worthless, only keep enable secret, it is more secure. service password-encryption and some ACL's on SNMP might also be worth considering, depends how security concencious you are. Also the new enable secret command on IOS 15.1+ I think uses encryption type 4 to encrypt the password, again more secure but up to you. I'm guessing this is more about will it work rather than pointing out best practices that are fairly well documented by many others.

If you do come across a line of unsupported config the 2960 should give a warning or error anyway, things don't go boom and blow blue smoke, most of the time anyway.

Thank you for your help !

I have successfully copied the configuration and it seems to work well on my 2960.

Time to do this for the other 30 switches I need to change... Thanks to LMS !