Helpful
Replies

LMS-to-PI upgrade different hardware

vishal.rane
Level 1
Level 1

hi

Here is a scenario

LMS installed on virtual environment & PI appliance with upgrade license is purchased?
how to proceed with the installation on the newly purchased PI appliance with upgrade license? considering LMS will be out of network after PI on production

any clue

thanks, vishal

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If it is brand new, you should check that it shipped with PI 2.1. If not, download and burn a DVD with the bootable ISO file.

Install the new physical appliance per the hardware installation guide. It should boot into a dialog asking you to setup basic parameters.

Once you have basic setup completed, you have the option of transferring your devices from LMS. If you have LMS 4.2.4 or later there's a menu option in LMS that will format the fields as necessary - otherwise you can just export a basic CSV and massage the fields a bit for PI compatibility - the import menu gives you a template (this is all covered in the white paper below).

I suggest you read and follow the PI 2.1 deployment guide white paper Cisco has provided at this page.

Hi Marvin,

Here is my scenario:

My client has LMS 3.2 version  and he want to upgrade the LMS to the newest. As we known,  we just only order PI license and the LMS license will be bundled with it. Do we just order the PI 2.1 upgrade license from LMS 3.2(part no: R-L-PI2X-U-K9), and download PI2.1 ISO to install client's UCS server?  Can the upgrade solution work? Or better solution?

Tira,

If you're a partner, please refer to the PI BOM Builder on the partner community..

It will show you that, yes - you start with the part number you mentioned. Then add base and lifecycle licenses (and support) to complete the order. CCW will also help you validate the final order. I have pasted in a sample BOM below for a 50 device upgrade. Only the one line item with the number of lifecycle license would change. Options are 50, 100, 300, 500, 750, 1000 etc.

1R-L-PI2X-U-K9LMS to Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.x Upgrade          [TOP-LEVEL SKU]
1R-PI21-SW-K9Prime Infrastructure 2.1 Software
1L-PI2X-BASEPrime Infrastructure 2.x Base License
1L-L-PI2X-50-ULMS to Prime Infrastructure 2.x Upgrade 50 Device

If the customer is staying on LMS, then you would not use the ISO (intended for NCS appliance use only) but rather use the OVA distribution which requires an existing VMware ESX server to host LMS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: