Replies

LMS4.1 endhost question

CSCO11616177
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

I have some questions about endhost.

1.What is the endhost ? Is it mean PC?

2.How can I know the IP is connected which switch ? E.g. : The PC with IP 10.10.10.10 is connected to Swtich 4507. Can I find the

switch which the pc is connected by IP 10.10.10.10?

3.It needs to do what configuration on the switch do?

This problem has troubled me for a long time. I hope you can help me

Thank you very much

12 Replies 12

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Process of User Tracking in LMS helps to get details about End Host. User Tracking helps you to locate and track the end hosts in your network. In this way, you get the information required to troubleshoot and analyze any connectivity issues. The application identifies all end users connected to the discovered Cisco access layer switches on the network, including printers, servers, IP phones PCs and wireless hosts.

User Tracking collects the details of the end users and the layer 2 connections, and updates User Tracking table in the Campus Manager database. This is done through automated polling of the network, by User Tracking (UT) Major Acquisition process.

In addition to polling the network, Dynamic UT process receives details from the end users and update the database dynamically. User Tracking also computes subnet related data and updates the database with complete host information. Thus you get latest information about the changes in connections on your network.

The minimum configuration required by your devices are they should be managed by LMS and reachable via SNMP. However additional requirement may need some simple configuration on devices or on AD's.

For mode detailed explaination please check the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_campus_manager/5.2/user/guide_pb/ut.html#wp1219904

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Dear,

I run the User Tracking  Quick Reports,but it prompt me no end host found 。

Can you help me ?

Please check if you are able to generate any data with all host report.

Viewing All Hosts Entries Reports and End Hosts History Reports

-Thanks

Dear.

I run the report ,but only can see mac address .

I can see my PC's mac address, but not see the IP,.

End host collection collects CAM/MAC table information from managed switches. For IP ADD info to LMS should have managed routers which are DG for these end hosts to read the ARP entries and get matching MAC to IP details.

PLease check one of the end host mac and check if its DG router is managed by LMS and is successful for Data Collection or not.

-Thanks

Dear Arya

Thank you for your help.

The DG is mean default gateway?

The end host default gateway is 2960. And it is managed by LMS

I can see some end host's IP ,and some not. 

Interestingly, when my computer to get IP 192.168.58.101 ,I can see my computer's host name and iP

But when my computer get other IP,like 192.168.58.102,I can see nothing.

The DHCP services is enabled in a  TP-LINK(One kind of home wireless router),and ip pool is 192.168.58.1-192.168.58.100/22  ,the default gateway is 192.168.56.1. 

The 2960's ip is 192.168.58.4,I read your suggestions,manually modify the default gateway to 192.168.58.4 in my computer ,but can't see the computer's IP ,too.!

Thank you very much ,and please continue to help me

Yes DG is default Getway. If some end hosts as IP and other doesn't, it seems some routers may be missing or other settings needs to be done for Data Collection (DC), which can help in collecting more details by the module responsible for Data Collection and ENd host tracking -- i.e. Campus Manager.

Each piece of information in the User Tracking Host Report has been obtained through one of the acquisition steps. That is:

1. VLANS: Obtrained through reading the CISCO-VTP-MIB on the siwtch acting as the VTP server in the network

2. MAC addresses: Obtained through reading the BRIDGE-MIB on the switches via SNMP for each VLAN found in #1.

3. Subnet: Obtained through the Campus Data Collection process which records which subnets exist on the discovered devices.

4. IP Address: Obtained by performing a ping sweep of the discovered subnets (in #3) and then reading the RFC1213-MIB (ARP table) from any routers in the subnet via SNMP

5. Hostname: Obtained by performing a reverse DNS lookup based on the IP address discovered in #4.

Troubleshooting Steps:

Since the VLANs and MAC addresses have been discovered, the first place to start looking into this issue is with #3/#4.

The troubleshooting procedure is easiest if we can focus on a particular host. For the host we need to know the MAC address, IP address, hostname, subnet mask, default gateway etc.

Note: Campus Manager requires all routers and switches involved in User Tracking to be Cisco Devices. If these devices are non-Cisco UT will not collect all of the information.

1. Is Campus Manager peforming data collection on the routers in the same subnet as the host?

- Check following reports :

Reports > System: ANI Server Analysis

Reports > System: Data Collection Metrics

Reports > System: Device Support

-> Check if the devices are properly mamnaged and if you find any missing device add. Also check devices in Inventory > add/edit manage device > system defined groups in routers if all routers seems managed and there is nothing

under  unmanaged devices.

2. Do the routers in the same subnet as the host have the MAC to IP mapping in their ARP table?

- "show arp" on the router will give this.

-> If not, please check if there is an ARP problem. If the subnet is a class A or B, then User Tracking does not perform a ping sweep and hence this could be why the ARP table is not populated with the required values.

If you cannot choose a host to focus on, the first thing you need to do is make sure that CiscoWorks is managing EVERY device in the network. Then we need to make sure that Campus Manager is doing "Data Collection" for these devices.

- The Campus Data COllection settings can also affect the operation (having subnet filters etc.), So to check and correct these settings go to :

Admin > Collection Settings : Data Collection

From here see you have setting for DC in all the subnets, DC (data collection) enable on trunk ports etc. If you make any changes to these DC settings, you will have to wait for DC cycle to complete once, which happens every 4 hours by default, but you can start it yourself as well. After DC completes, user tracking will pick new details.

-Thanks

-Thanks

Dear Vinod Arya

Sorry for late reply.

First, let me introduce my network environment:

As show in figure:

The Wireless router enabled DHCP.:pool is 192.168.58.100-192.168.58.150/22

The Laptop get IP 192.168.58.102/22. And in the Laptop have a virtual machine. I manual config the virtual machine IP to

192.168.58.223/22 .

The Wireless router is connected to H3C switch ..an H3C switch is connected to cisco 2960 through trunk.
There is a server connected to 2960 G1/0/34 with IP 33.33.33.11/24.

And the next picture will show you the arp  in 2960:

as show in figure:

you can see the all arp!

But i run the User Tracking All Host Entries report. I can see the virtual machine IP. but I can't see the Laptop and the server IP !

I recently participate a disaster recovery data center . I resiponsible to config LMS and NAM and Nexus Swithes. Could you give me some ideas? Shall we contact with IM (MSN Yahoo Messager?)  Really appreciate!

Thanks for your detailed information. For sure, LMS is not able to collect the IP of your PC and Server. First question I have is if you configured Data Collection settings for :

> To collect details from Trunk Ports as well

> To collect details from all subnet

Please check if these two are enabled, if not, enable and run a new Data collection, followed by new User Tracking aquisition.

-Thanks

Thank you for your reply

First , I enable End Host Discovery on all Trunks. and collect details from all subnet.

Two. the wireless router is not cisco's router. It's a Home wireless router ,can't be managed in LMS.

By the way ,can you tell me  if the IP is not on the switch's cam/MAC TABLE ,does that mean that can not be collected?

Thank you

If IP is not in CAM/MAC table, but the Default Gateway Router is managed in LMS and is a supported device, LMS can co-relate IP from there.

Also, Please share which one is the Wireless router? Is it a Cisco's Router or other brand? is it managed in LMS?