Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS4.2 discovery not working

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

LMS 4.2, W2K8 R2.

I was having an issue with discovery adding devices to with corrupt information (seemingly random strings of characters in several fields).  While I was trying to clean this up a scheduled discovery kicked off and further exacerbated the issues I was having.  Frustrated, I deleted all entries from the discovery schedule until I could get things cleaned up.

Now I want to go back and troubleshoot the discovery process.  Trouble is, I can't get discovery to do anything anymore.  I disabled all modules but CDP.  I added a single seed IP address under the CDP configuration.  This is the address of a 3560V2 switch that is not in DCR.  When I started discovery it completed in about 2 seconds and didn't discover anything, including the seed device.  So I added another 3560V2 as a seed device under global settings.  Same results.  Thinking that it had been working using scheduled discovery, I set up a schedule and kicked it off that way.  Same results.  Finally I added one of these seed devices to DCR and let LMS fully learn about it.  Ran another discovery. Still no joy.

I started an SNMP debug on the seed devices before starting discovery.  I see the SNMP get coming from LMS, the switches respond and the discovery completes with 0 devices discovered.

CSDiscovery.log is no help because it contains no meanigful information.  Only messages about "No appenders could be found for logger" which are no help.

What can I do from here?  Anybody?

Thanks,

-Jeff

1 Reply 1

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

Standard discovery is working.  It seems that my CDP only custom discovery is the problem.