Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Login on-failure log message problem

Please see my log message below.  Note that the user section is blank.  Is there a reason why this would be left blank? As a side note I am currently running radius on my network if that makes any difference.

Feb 21 19:57:47.898: %SEC_LOGIN-4-LOGIN_FAILED: Login failed [user: ] [Source: x.x.x.x] [localport: 22] [Reason: Login Authentication Failed] at 13:57:47 CST Wed Feb 21 2018

3 Replies 3

lash
Level 1
Level 1

I have this issue too on multiple switches - version 15.2(4)E5 

I have even upgraded to a higher end switch and upgraded to the recommended version and this error is still occurring.  

cisco WS-C3650-48P

Cisco IOS Software [Denali], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 16.3.5b, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

*Mar 16 15:16:44.409: %SEC_LOGIN-4-LOGIN_FAILED: Login failed [user: ] [Source: UNKNOWN] [localport: 0] [Reason: Login Authentication Failed] at 10:16:44 CDT Fri Mar 16 2018

I am doing this through console which is why the source is unknown.  The login success messages come through with the user just fine.  From what I have read this is a bug that has been around for a while.  I wonder if anyone has found a fix or if Cisco is ever going to bother with fixing this.

Got it solved with my switch this way:

SWITCH01(config)#crypto key zeroize rsa

SWITCH01(config)#crypto key generate rsa

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: