Views
Helpful
Replies

Manage software for enterprise multiple devices

jakob_storm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I working on at large European enterprise company with multiple devices, primary switch´s 29xx, 3650, 3750, 3850, 4500, 93/9500.

I’m tasked with finding a nice an easy way, of making sure we have up to date and stable software running on all devices.

I´m looking for suggestions on the way to go forward in regards to, is there any automated or semi-automated way to go forward, using Cisco tools or Cisco software db? In order to make sure we running the preferred software? Beside manually having a look at https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/softwarechecker.x day in and day out?

Br. Jakob

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
2960S = 15.2(2)E9
2960X = 15.2(7)E2
3650/3850 = 16.9.5
3750 = 15.2(4)E10
9300/9500 = 16.9.5
Sup7 = 3.8.10

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Go to the download page for your platforms and click on the 'Notifications' link. You can then configure periodic email notifications for those platform releases. Then setup email filters to pluck out the new release emails and delete the rest (or maybe keep those ones too as they are useful!)

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb Rupik

Yeah i also had that in my mind, and maybe create a new seperat mail account in my company, for this. But i was hoping there was a more.... lets say inteligent way :)

Br. Jakob

Intelligence huh, that is always in short supply!

I think Cisco Prime had some sort of release notification. Solarwinds had a report your could run which would alert you.

Your best bet is to roll something yourself to suit your needs. Have a look at apiconsole.cisco.com ....you may have better access than me. I believe the 'Platform-API' contains the information you are after, although the documentation is non existent and I can't access it to confirm.

Essentialy you are looking at create a cron task to take your infrastructure platform types and query them against the API to determine if a new recommended release has been issued.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb

Hehe yes your absolut rigth about that😭

Apiconsole.ciso.com and a auto fetch and queary job is a great ideal!

Thanks for the tip!

Stay safe

Br. Jakob

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card