Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from LMS 4.2 to CPI 3.4

Hi,

I am planning to migrate from LMS 4.2 to CPI 3.4. The initial plan was a sequential upgrade from CPI 2.0 all the way to 3.4.  But as I read the administrator guide for CPI 3.4, I found that data migration is possible directly from LMS 4.2.

Can anyone help me out on this. To clarify whether a fresh install of CPI 3.4 and migration from LMS 4.2 is possible or not.

If YES, I would like to know if my current licenses can be used for CPI as well.

If NO, kindly advice the best possible way for an upgrade to CPI 3.4.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can export the device inventory from LMS 4.2 to PI 2.x or higher. Historical data and other settings do not transfer.

There'd be no advantage to starting out on something lower than the current PI version (3.4 as of this posting) with a fresh installation. It'd be more work to upgrade and that would bring its own opportunities for something to go wrong.

LMS licenses and PI licenses are totally separate. Depending on when LMS was purchased, it may have also included PI licenses (or technically the opposite - for several years Cisco included LMS licenses with PI purchases to allow customers to run both while there was still significant feature gap on PI). You'd have to check with your individual order details on that. Other than that possibility, the licenses are for completely separate products and not transferable.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can export the device inventory from LMS 4.2 to PI 2.x or higher. Historical data and other settings do not transfer.

There'd be no advantage to starting out on something lower than the current PI version (3.4 as of this posting) with a fresh installation. It'd be more work to upgrade and that would bring its own opportunities for something to go wrong.

LMS licenses and PI licenses are totally separate. Depending on when LMS was purchased, it may have also included PI licenses (or technically the opposite - for several years Cisco included LMS licenses with PI purchases to allow customers to run both while there was still significant feature gap on PI). You'd have to check with your individual order details on that. Other than that possibility, the licenses are for completely separate products and not transferable.

Thank you Marvin.

So you mean that even if I do a complete data migration from LMS using export data to PI tab, I won't be able to migrate the historical data to CPI ?

Currently I am using host file for name resolution on LMS, since CPI is on Linux, how would the name resolution be? Is it mandatory to use a domain DNS?

Just o add to my concern of name resolution, will PI be able to take the hostname from the device config and display the same in monitoring the devices?

Thanks in advance

Migration from LMS to PI is only for your device inventory. No historical data or other settings can be migrated. They are two quite distinct products with incompatible data sets. The device inventory is just a Comma Separated Variable (CSV) file that has the correct fields for PI to be able to import.

Re you other question, I don't believe it will pick it up the identification of the monitored host strictly from the hostname variable in the retrieved configuration.

You need to either have it in your configured DNS resolver or, failing that, in a local hosts file on the Prime Infrastructure server.

Thank you Marvin.

I had done a device and credential backup for migration to PI. But i see that only half of the devices' data from the DCR have been exported. I'm trying to troubleshoot this currently. Can you advice on what could be the issue?

Furthermore, I havent worked on linux. So I dont know about updating the host file in linux. Since PI is providing a web console. Can you give more information on the host file part.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card