Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration LMS 3.1 -> 3.2, configuration lost

mladenp
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

After fresh installation of LMS 3.2 on new Win 2008 server, and data migration through backup/restore it seems that all device configs are lost.

Directory CSCOpx\files\rme\dcma is empty. Restore process was ended without errors, I think.

Regards,

Mladen

14 Replies 14

ngoldwat
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

A couple of questions to get the ball rolling:

Are you integrated with ACS?

What configurations are lost exactly?

Have you noticed anything else wrong?

The logs created during install and restore should be found under C:\

Thanks,

Hello,

CW aren't integrated with ACS.

All device configurations are lost. All that stuff in files/rme/dcma folder.

ICServer.log is very huge 840MB (for fey days of new LMS was up).

Logs are attached.

Workflow was such like that:

1. Fresh install of LMS without IPM and HUM

2. Adding of IPM and HUM to new LMS because old LMS 3.1 have that components installed (but customer don't use them)

3. Restore of LMS 3.1 backup

4. Uninstall of IPM, HUM

Regards,

Mladen

Hi,

You may consider first removing the components from the 3.1 server, back it up and then restore to 3.2.

However since the archive you are concerned about is simple text files, you could simply copy them to the new server. Remember to verify the permissions whenever you add a folder/file.  The casuser user must have full rights.

To verify: You are able to view the configs in RME correct?

Thanks.

Hi,

I can't remove components from old server, uninstall don't work

If I just copy files from one box to another, shouldn't RME database would be out of sync with the file system? Also it seems that on old server ArchivePurge job wasn't ever scheduled so it is over 400.000 files in dcma folder - could that be a problem with restore fail ?

In mentime I have found bug CSCti28672:

Symptom:

Migrating a CiscoWorks backup from a previous version does not migrate the Resource
Manager Essentials configuration archive.  After the migration, there are no files in the
archive directory.

Conditions:

This occurs on Windows when the archive directory has been configured to use '/' as the
path delimiter (e.g. "C:/PROGRA~1/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma").

Workaround:

In the old version of CiscoWorks, Go to RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Archive Settings
and adjust the path so that it contains '\' for the path delimiter.  Then take a new backup.

I tried that workaround but without success...

Regards,

Mladen

Hi,

How does the uninstall fail?

Concerning the archive location and files: The Shadow Archive (The one you are referring to) is simply a group of flat text files containing the latest configurations of your managed devices. This was implemented so users could look at configs without running SQL queries. The Shadow archive is in no way connected with any LMS databases.

To manually add devices, go to a directory where you want the files to be stored and execute the
following command: CSCOpx/bin/cwcli config export -u -p -device % -continue

You can enable or disable the use of Shadow directory by following this workflow:

1.  Stop the ConfigMgmtServer process. To do this follow this procedure:
2.  Select Common Services > Server > Admin > Processes.
     The Process Management dialog box appears.
3.  Select the ConfigMgmtServer process.
4.  Click Stop.

5.  Select Resource Manager Essentials > Admin > Config Mgmt > Archive Mgmt.
     The Archive Settings dialog box appears.

6.  Select the Enable Shadow Directory check box.

7.  Click Apply.

A message shows that the changes were made.

8.  Restart the ConfigMgmtServer process. To do this follow this procedure:
9.  Select Common Services > Server > Admin > Processes.
     The Process Management dialog box appears.

10. Select the ConfigMgmtServer process.
11. Click Start.

For example under Solaris the shadow directory will be: /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/shadow

Thanks

Hello,

Uninstall window appears but never goes to phase when I could select which components to uninstall... I can only kill them in task manager after some time.

Not only the shadow directory missing but all of the other directories (devfiles, difffiles etc.). Before restore all that other directories beside shadow was there.  In devfiles it should be subdirectory for each device in DCR, with PRIMARY\RUNNING, STARTUP and so on. I believe that should be in sync with database. Also from RME I can't view any of the configurations, sync archive jobs fails...

Are you look at CSCti28672 ? It's exactly what happens to me twice...

Regards,

Mladen

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. I looked at the bug you mentioned. Have you implemented the recommended fix?

In the old version of CiscoWorks, Go to RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Archive Settings 
and adjust the path so that it contains '\' for the path delimiter.  Then take a new backup.

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes I am, but widouth success...

Maybe I don't understood well but "In the old version of CiscoWorks" means in my case old box with LMS 3.1 where I should adjust the path or what ?

Regards,

Mladen

Yes, you will need to change the orientation of the slash on the 3.1 server and then perform a new backup.

Thanks.

I was tried to change a path but something is strange to me.

At first path was like on pic1 ( here I can't change slash only when I click "browse"):

Here I can change slashes (like this):

But when I click OK it again looks like on first picture:

I should wait for scheduled backup to complete and then I will try to restore again...

Regards,

Mladen

Just for recap:

After applying a workaround on old LMS 3.1 server and backup/restore, config files are in right place in file system but AREN'T in RME database...

ngoldwat
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Did you follow the steps as outlined here: http://tools.cisco.com/squish/82a00

Thanks,

Nick

Hi,

Yes, of course.

Sorry, you would think that is a sily question

I took another look at the log files and saw the following (which I missed before)

This was probably casued by the following seen in the migration log:

15/Dec/2010 11:26:05:207 292018 [main] INFO  com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.MigrMain  299 - Archive directory from datafiles.txt ==>D:/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma
15/Dec/2010 11:26:05:207 292018 [main] INFO  com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.MigrMain  359 - Source location ==>D:/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma
15/Dec/2010 11:26:05:333 292144 [main] INFO  com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.MigrMain  472 - Its a full backup .......
15/Dec/2010 11:26:05:334 292145 [main] FATAL com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.MigrMain  517 - Directory: E:\CSCOpx\tempBackupData\rmeng\D_drive/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma does not Exists!!!
15/Dec/2010 11:26:05:335 292146 [main] ERROR com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.MigrMain  1316 - E:\CSCOpx\tempBackupData\rmeng\D_drive\CSCOpx\files\rme\dcma doesn't exist. Exiting..

Thanks