Views
Helpful
Replies

Move Subnet from 2960XR to Nexus 9504s

sebbing
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I work for a managed cloud provider and in my time here, I have come across many things that need to be cleaned up from previous upgrades, moves, changes, etc...  One of those is I have found a /29 subnet on a 2960XR switch that I want to move to a pair of Nexus 9504s that we currently use to provide connectivity to our customers. This /29 subnet currently connects one of our customers to the Internet and is only using 1 IP for both gateway and their firewall. Thankfully this subnet is on a VLAN and not on an interface

I am looking for some advice on how to easily and as least impactful as possible move the subnet to hopefully gain redundancy and remove the single point of failure.

Thank you in advance..

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- At first connect the 2960XR through a trunk link to the 9504s , which makes the vlan available. Later on if desired you can define the vlan and the subnet native if on the 9504s , if the 2960XR gets removed.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

I don't think there is a way around a (minimum) downtime. I would just create the Vlan (and SVI) on the Nexus, put it in 'shutdown' mode, then disconnect the 2960XR. All done after hours of course (or during a time window when there is the least business impact).

As for redundancy, how are the two Nexus switches currently configured ? 

Hi Georg,

With regards to the VLAN on the Nexus, it is not there as of yet. Redundancy on the Nexus have a Public and Private VPC peer links between the two.

I guess I am thinking that at this point, I would have the SVIs created on the 9504s in a shutdown state, then disable the SVI on the 2960. And lastly, enable the SVIs on the 9504s.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card