Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT virtual interface (NVI) on IOSXE ISR4k ASR1k CSR1000v

n.bokhar1
Level 1
Level 1

hello all,

I have ISR4k routers and in the cisco feature navigator it says it does support NVI on version 16.3.8 or 16.6.7 but in reality, I couldn't use it when on an interface I use IP nat I don't have enable option.

is there a trick to enable this feature?

if it is not supported at all why does the feature navigator says it is supported?

1 Reply 1

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Domainless NAT (aka "ip nat enable" which removes the need for a packet to be NAT'ed to go between "inside" and "outside" domains, otherwise no NAT happens; with "ip nat enable", it the packet has to move between two NAT "enabled" interfaces and match a NAT statement to be NAT'ed) has been like a "temporary" NAT implementation, to fix a VRF NAT based design where the "inside/outside" architecture of NAT couldn't make the NAT happen. As far as I'm aware, this has never been available in IOS-XE. This was also called "NVI NAT", an unfortunate name.

Both domainelss based NAT ("ip nat enable") and domain based NAT ("ip nat inside"/"ip nat outside") are creating an NVI0 interface, through which the NAT processing happens within the internals of IOS.

I guess the feature navigator shows that it supports "NVI0", which does not necessarily mean domainless NAT, or is just wrong, as I've seen it many times.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card