cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network drawing Icons

peter.mark
Level 1
Level 1

I received a drawing with an icon in it that I've never seen before. It looks like a Catalyst 6500 with a route/switch processor above and an Si on the

switch. Can someone tell me what the Si represents?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Keyan
Level 1
Level 1

Silicon Switch Processor. In doing some light research it would appear that silicon switch processors were an add in module for older Cisco devices like the 7000. It provided basically a hardware accelerator for switching as well as a dedicated hardware packet buffer.

All of the catalyst switches (to my knowledge)are "Silicon switches", although most of the time people refrain from using the Si icon since it causes clutter/confusion.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Keyan
Level 1
Level 1

Silicon Switch Processor. In doing some light research it would appear that silicon switch processors were an add in module for older Cisco devices like the 7000. It provided basically a hardware accelerator for switching as well as a dedicated hardware packet buffer.

All of the catalyst switches (to my knowledge)are "Silicon switches", although most of the time people refrain from using the Si icon since it causes clutter/confusion.

I can understand why it would be confusing.

Thanks you.

Pete

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card