cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Management Solution

sheldoncooper
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, currently looking into network management and monitoring solutions for a network containing both cisco and ciena network devices. We've seen both company's vendor specific management software (Prime Infrastructure and One Control), but I'm looking for a tool that manages and monitors both devices.

I've heard a lot of negative experinces on here for Prime Infrastructure, and I haven't seen much of anything regarding One Control (aside from what their sales department presented to us).

A lot of my operators are lobbying for SolarWinds. Essentially, we need software to setup and configure both cisco and ciena devices, monitor performance, alerting, collect syslogs, send commands remotely, and apply templates to devices for quick setup and tear down of vlans and routes.

SolarWinds seems to have a mixed reputation here, but can it perform the functions specified for both vendor devices? Do you guys recommend other tools that work better?

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It all depends on your expertise also matter, if you are nowise user in NMS solution then you need to depend on vendor or partner for your requirement to deploy everything.

NMS required to tune based on the information you looking to monitor, it is an ongoing process and requirement.

There are 2 options I see : ( i prefer Option 2 to save cost and control) - but again it's a business decision.

Options 1 :

You have a commercial vendor you have pros and cons ( so you need to make a matrix what is the options you looking is this vendor support?)

Options 2 :

Opensource gives you ability to monitor create your own dashboard whatever you like, need some development and knowledge to deploy this. but you get more control over the tool

Both tools are below: top 10 in 2020

https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/network-monitoring-tools/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help